Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,new to the site:)

My 67 has an intermittent (aren't they all) wiring problem.

When the problem pops up all rear lights won't work and the dash is dark.
Everything else is fine and this condition comes and goes:(
Fuses are good,car has stock wiring,I'm lost on electrical.

Help,

RED67

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
RED67 said:
Hello all,new to the site:)

My 67 has an intermittent (aren't they all) wiring problem.

When the problem pops up all rear lights won't work and the dash is dark.
Everything else is fine and this condition comes and goes:(
Fuses are good,car has stock wiring,I'm lost on electrical.

Help,

RED67
I think you mentioned on "another" website(I wonder what that would be) that the gen light will glow when you are in reverse (activating the backup lights)...I would really look at a ground issue...the gen light can glow when you have ground issues...Hey on the "other site" in the originality forum there is a thread called weblink library...there is a link in there for early gen wiring diagrams...you might be able to see where all the grounds should be and trouble shoot them using the diagram...I think they stop at '66 but I suspect that the '67 diagram is very simular...good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
69NovaSS thanks for the heads up.I have an assembly manual and a service manual with the diagrams.All the obvious grounds are good,,engine block,batt to the fender,tail lights.Just hoping someone else has had the same problem.

Question; is the fuse box itself grounded? An old mechanic told me it is.

:confused: RED67

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
The dash lights and tail lights are fed from the same circuit. Since both are going dark there is a problem with the 12v feed to that circuit. Have you replaced the fuse? With age they can weaken at the solder joints and become intermittant. Or it could just be corrosion on the clips that retain the fuse. Remove the fuse and get the clips shiny and see if that helps.
<edit> Where are my manners- welcome to the site :waving:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome Phillip.I worked on the car last night making good grounds & ck'ing for bad connections.The electric choke works better now:thumbsup:
Think I'll replace all the fuses tonight,,looks like they've been in there a long time.
One intermittent problem that came and went last night with all my poking around and test light probing is the Gen light glows bright when the transmission back up switch is hooked up:confused:
The switch is new and stock (4 speed),,it or it's wires are not grounded or shorted.I put a disconnect on it,,hook it up gen glows,,disconnect nothing.But each time no rear lights:(

TIA,WP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C'om on guys,,,,:hurray: Some one has had this problem.

RED67

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, as suggested, check and double check all the grounds, and also check that you don't have a pinched wire somewhere. Wiring is such a pain in the butt.

Don

PS...Welcome also.:waving:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome xinloi44.

Yes, making all grounds solid and looking for "opens".

At this point the "inst-rear lamps" fuse clip has no power,,,AT ALL:confused:

So let the "tracing continue":(

Happy Easter by the way:)

RED67

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cured :thumbsup:

Dash wasn't grounded and Voltage regulator was "intermitient bad" :confused: as tested in the 1967 GM service manual.

As stated on the other Nova board the dash in the '67 model grounds thru the mounting screws.Well this car has a very good paint job when restored and not all the screws where making contact:clonk: .So a little trimming with a knife and "wella":D

Now;all fuse holders are clean,all grounds are good and a new voltage regulator,,replaced a few old cracked wires,,,the dash is bright,,14.2 volts charging,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the electric choke on the Holley carb works perfect.:hurray:

Thanks to all the guys that gave advise:)

RED67

1 - 10 of 10 Posts