Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm based in Tucson, Arizona. I just got a 1979 Nova with a straight-six engine for $650. She needs some love, but I'm looking forward to putting the work in.

Growing up my step-father was a mechanic, but I was often shooed out of the garage in favor of my brother help. Jokes on him because I'm the most interested in car in my family. :p

I had an '85 El Camino, but I needed to sell it in order to move from Upstate NY to the sunny Sonoran Desert. It was a sad day, but life in Tucson has been well worth it.

At 26, I still have plenty of learning to do, but I figure a fixer-upper is going to be the best teacher. I'm hoping that this forum can help me out when I get too stuck.

Right now she turns on, but isn't nearly road ready. My first fixes are going to be struts, bushings, repacking the bearings, new tires, tail lights, a overflow tank, and a carburetor rebuild. I'll also be giving her the basic tune up shenanigans - oil change, brakes, spark plugs and spark plug wires.

I'm most nervous about the carburetor - it's a Rochester carburetor. (Which is funny because that's where I move to Tucson from.) I'm also curious about the struts. Those are the two things I haven't ever done on a car before. Any tips would be appreciated. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
Welcome to the Team Bree!

You're in luck one of our Mods "Philip" is down your way, he knows your car inside out.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Bree!

Your car doesn't have a strut (spring and shock absorber as a single unit), instead the spring and the shock are separate from each other. You change each out separately.

If the springs need to be changed out (the six cylinder spring is probably sagging down two to three inches below factory ride height now as it was a thin wire without a lot of spring rate) rebuild the whole front end at once to save on your labor.

Big Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts