Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This past Tuesday (11/1/22) I purchased a '66 Nova 2 and am already feeling like I should sell it. I bought it because it's beautiful and I wanted to do something "crazy" for once in my life. But I know nothing about cars and am wondering what's "normal" about my Nova and what might be the eventual death of me. Last time I started it, it lurched into reverse so much so that the tires squealed. The brakes also started squeaking the last time I drove it, and every time I've started it, it spews black stuff out of the exhaust pipe. When in drive, it moves forward without my pressing the accelerator, so much so that I worry it's too much for the brakes. Feels kind of possessed... I'm scared of this machine, to be honest. I'd like to be less scared, though, and do my best to understand it better before trying to sell it. I had my mechanic neighbor inspect it before I bought it and he said it looked good, but I'm just feeling very unsure about that, not that I own. (My neighbor is currently out of town but I plan on having him look at it again when he returns.) Thanks for any support you can provide!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to Team Nova!

Sweet ride, and can be a lot of fun to drive, best solution would be to find a local shop or friend you can actually "trust" that's into classic cars to inspect and service it from one end to the other, there are many variables from adjustments to repair or replacing parts for each issue that it would be just guessing at everything without seeing the car, and most of it could be just simple things.
Thank you! I'm trying to find a mechanic in my area who works on antique cars. No luck yet, but my neighbor's back in town, so maybe I can just hire him. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a nice looking Nova! My humble advice would be you might want to take it to someone you trust and get an honest assessment of the Nova. If this is a secondary car for you, I would be inclined to say to try to keep it. This is all provided you can afford to pay for repairs. And more importantly, it is something you WANT to do and gives you joy.

If this is a primary car, however, you may want to put a list of pros and cons together and decide. I once had a 1966 Pontiac Lemans that was my daily driver and primary car, and I ended up selling it because I had so many repairs that it needed and I needed a practical, reliable vehicle as a daily driver. It killed me to sell it, but in the end, I don't regret it. I was able to get a better job because of the new truck I ended up buying and also got me through college.
Thank you for your response! Yes, it is very nice looking! That's why I bought it. Might not be enough reason to keep it for long, but I'll probably hold onto it for at least a year. It is not my daily driver. That would be so stressful! I basically just want to take it for little drives in the countryside where I live. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts