Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for the great site and all the tech help you have given me in the past! Im on the other side of the world right now fighting Taliban in the dessert, but will be home soon to continue working on my hot rod nova.
I have a 72 nova with a mild 355ci sbc in it. The currrent fuel system is not enough to feed my 750 SMI double pumper and I also have plans for swapping in a L92/Ls3 in the somewhat near future. This being said my current (all stock) fuel system is not going to work! I have limited knowledge in the fuel delivery department and am looking for advice from the pros.
I have narrowed my search down to two main ideas(if you have another idea let me know!):

1st: Aeromotive Stealth Fuel Cell with A-1000 pump and pre filter. This is a all in one system that will allow me to do either a carb or EFI setup with only a regulator change. I would just need an extra post-pump filter and some braided/stainless lines to complete the build. But all together with everything I think this will cost about $1,200 and thats a little much for my daily driver/(someday) open road race car. But would be an easy install.

2nd: I have heard great thigns about the Walbro pumps. I havent used them before and would need a good plumming and wiring diagram from someone smarter than me. Since this isnt a complete setup out of the box I would need help finding the correct part numbers, the ammount of lines nedded, how to plumb it, and a new sump for my tank. I need a new tank anyways so welding a rear sump wouldnt be an issue. I think that this course of action would be much cheeper and still very reliable and power friendly.

Like I said, I do plan on swapping in an LS motor with goals of 550(+)hp. This will be a complete fuel system build from a new tank all the way to the fuel regulator. So if you guys have any pictures/diagrams/schematics from your builds to include part numbers and things of that nature I would really apreciate it. Or if you think I should go another route as well. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from all of you

-Jesse:beers:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Hi Jesse!

First off, thank you for your service.

I run the A1000 in my car and love it. Sure, its a little more expensive, but I have had cheaper fuel pumps and they aren't worth the headache of not having the power to pump fuel all the way up to the front of the car.

If you are going to do such actions, you would want to sump your tank (easy, just time consuming) and I would recommend running a 1/2" line up to feed the beast and a 1/2" line back to drain whats left. I only run 1 fuel filter directly after the fuel pump.

I don't think it would cost more than $700 to do the work.....

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
I second Jeff's opinion. I also have the Aeromotive pump. I run nearly a thousand horsepower (582 BBC putting out 750+250 nitrous on tap) without issue.

Two things I want to mention. A tank with a return line (preferably in the far corner away from the pick up so that it doesn't disturb the flow of gas in the sump) and a sump with a large (AN-8 or better , as a -10 is a good start). Second leave the stainless steel hose for show under the hood and use instead a hard line as it is cheaper per foot and easier to route and secure to the frame.

Your EFI will be running at 75 psi so a leaky hose isn't a great idea and most cheap over the counter stainless steel rubber lined hose can not stand up to alcohol for long (which is in all gasoline now). You will need teflon (PFTE) lined hose to be safe with alcohol. So stick with the hard line (aluminum is easy to form but it work hardens very easily so both ends where an aluminum line enters a termination (distribution) block (made of yellow brass normally) it should be solidly mounted to the frame so that no vibration can be transmitted to it from the motor. Stainless steel line is marginally harder to work with in terms of forming without kinking the line, but it can be polished to look like chrome if you like waxing and polishing things.

Personally I would go with a foam filled fuel cell with dropped sump in the trunk unless you play a lot of golf and need the trunk for bags.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
By the way check out Barry Grant's web site while it is still up (he has gone belly up in the past few months). He has a lot of excellent tech info on his technical pages with illustrations of how to plumb a good high performance fuel system (his products were top notch also, and I used a lot of his pressure regulators and filters while they were still available). His carbs where billet copies of a Holley: with Holley being forced into improving their leaky old cast pot-metal metering blocks once Barry gave them some competition (unfortunately his fuel pumps where similar to Holley's as well, so I used a more reliable brand).

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.