Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a bushing kit to replace ALL of my bushings. I looked on jegs and summit and they have kits but the leave out some of the bushings that I need like the body mount bushings and some other bushings, so I'm scouring the almighty Google at the moment. I didn't know where to post this, it was either here or under the restoration section.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha, I just didn't know if there was a complete bushings set out there that covered everything. But it's all good. I've read reviews about the energy suspension body bushings not being as tall as OE bushings and people have to shim them with washers.

Let me know if I'm missing anything, these are the bushings I'm looking at

Prothane total bushing kit
http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/7-2027/10002/-1

Front control arms bushings
http://www.jegs.com/i/Energy-Suspension/355/3-3105R/10002/-1

And for the body mount bushings, I don't know if I want to go with aluminum replacements or urethane bushings. But to the looks of it, I'll have to shim them anyways.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The Energy Suspension bushings are made to Mil Spec by a CNC lathe turned out of a billet of polypropylene plastic. The need for a shim is caused by the user throwing away the factory hardware that has to be recyclyed.

Most are unaware that the factory rubber bushing was sandwiched by two washers and that there is a steel sleeve in the center because those rusty black parts looks like the rest of the rubber bushing and the parts have become vulcanized together so there is no visible parting line.

I have approached Energy Suspension's engineers about including new steel hardware with their kits. They pointed out where they can buy new hardware from a reproduction house for a car (such as a Chevelle) they include all new parts in a kit. But they are primarily a bushing supplier to the American military with their bushings going into all US Army and Marine equipment from trucks to tanks and even in artillery pieces. They only started car bushings in reaction to past threats from congress cutting off increasing military budgets.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Yes normally that is how it works.

Getting the parts apart can be a challenge. You might try a putty knife heated with a torch. The alternative is to burn them off but that is really messy, and smelly.

The Greeks used burning tree sap (not necessarily from the rubber tree) to burn down the towns and ships of those they were un-happy with so be careful if you go that route. The burning rubber is not only hot but sticks like glue so if it gets on you, you will have a very serious wound.

An alternative is to look for new hardware to fit a 1967-'69 Camaro. Won't be an exact fit but should be close enough to work. You car is closer to a 1975-'79 Camaro but they don't have as many parts reproduced as the first gen Camaro did.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
The Energy Suspension body bushing kit for a 4th gen does not require any shims to fit properly. Just follow the instructions and put the correct bushing at each location. You will need to use two 5/8" diameter dowels to realign the subframe to the body. I suggest alignment be checked prior to disassembly too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.