Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody narrow an OEM gas tank? If so how and any pics?

I am moving my springs in more and a narrowed fuel tank is 800+ dollars.

Thanks-
John

·
Registered
20 Posts
friend did it on his camaro years ago. tanks are similar, i think he had to cut the sides off and bring it in. no pics, just can't remember...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found two rad. shops that are more than willing to tackle it, just need some ideas for them.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
you would be far better off to find someone local to you to just make you an alum or stainless cell to the dimensions you need.

it is not a very difficult job and the time required to modify your stock one (and cost) will be similar.

·
Registered
457 Posts
my buddy put a vega tank on his67 nova when he moved his springs in but finding a good one of them may be difficult also:hurray:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did narrow a stock '64 gas tank once for spring clearance, while it's very shade tree, it worked, I just used a ball peen hammer and took my time and reshaped the ends of the tank, the springs still barely touched the tank at the end of my shock travel, so I modded my bump stops down about 1 1/4". It cost nothing and it worked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just made a 20 gal cell for my wagon since writing my response above. I started two nights ago and just have the sump to finish and to put some baffles in it before i weld on the top and the fittings. It's NOT a big job. I think the sheet of aluminum cost me $70 and i used less than 1/2 of it.

One evening of cutting the pieces with the plasma and the next night welding.

Ponjohn, what's the car and what are the dimensions of the tank you need? the one in my wagon ended up 24 x 22 x 9" high and it fits between my narrowed leafs springs.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I think a lot of the difference in price for the fuel cell vs. time and material comes from the liability involved with a gas tank in a motor vehicle. (Think ‘73-’87 Chevy Pick-up trucks and the 60 Minutes expose on the dangers of having a flawed design that cost GM millions) As an example I have a twenty gallon plastic fuel cell in my car which is four times bigger than my Sears Craftsman gas can for the lawn mower. They charge way more than four times the price for the fuel cell but it is same hollow plastic can with two holes poked in the bottom and two holes in the top (they don’t even provide the filler hardware unlike Sears who at least gave me a pour spout for the gas can). The difference in price (only speculating here, so I may be wrong), is liability (either that or they are making an obscene profit).

Big Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you saying I CAN'T TIG WELD? LOL I would trust my life in my own hands long before some mexicans who work for $2/hr welding ONE SIDE. I will pressure test it to much higher pressure than it will ever see!

( BTW i am a professional engineer in the oil and gas industry and involved with pressure vessels and pressure testing/pop valves. I would put my design up against RCI or others - at least i welded both sides and put gussets and braces on the inside to support the 160lbs of fuel!)

Also those plastic fuel cells are cheaply made and i wouldn't trust them in my enemy's cars! When the tank SAGS within a couple of seasons of holding race gas it obviously was underdesigned for the application!!!!!!!!!!

They ARE making an obscene profit. i bet 400% or better.

Also if fuel tanks were that critical sealing aside, wouldnt the NHRA or IHRA require a special approved double wall tank with a frame around it or something? I have to change my belts, window nets, tranny shield, balancer, engine diaper, etc etc and add a gazillion bars for 25.5 and 25.2 SFI specs - wouldn't you think the fuel tank would be a priority?

I'm suprised they haven't found a way to make us buy an ever more expensive fuel tank with the "sfi-tax" included!?!

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
LUMP I did not see anyone questioning your skills. BTW your occupation doesn't mean you would necessarily be good anything really, I deal with things professional engineers design everyday and a lot of it gets changed in the field to work better in real life situations. My brother in law is an excellent tig welder and he works in an insulation plant, these kinds of skills do not require a degree. I work daily around and with many mexicans workers and the majority of them take pride in what they do. Lighten up a touch. The whole purpose of having a hobby is for the enjoyment of it. If NHRA irritates so much you you may want to try something else.

Now given the time and materials and expertise it takes to make a GOOD (in your opinion) fuel cell, can you produce and sell them in quanity of the quaility you made for yourself any cheaper than the available ones? And would you stand behind them 100%?

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Dave when 60 minutes could not make a Chevy truck catch on fire from a collsion, even after hanging a gas soaked rag out the filler neck they rigged the test with a small charge. Unfortunatley the law suit and apology didn't get as much press as the fake report.
I find nothing wrong with plastic fuel tanks or cells. Every manufacture of autos since the 90's has at least one model using them.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Dave when 60 minutes could not make a Chevy truck catch on fire from a collsion, even after hanging a gas soaked rag out the filler neck they rigged the test with a small charge. Unfortunatley the law suit and apology didn't get as much press as the fake report.
I find nothing wrong with plastic fuel tanks or cells. Every manufacture of autos since the 90's has at least one model using them.
Ya I know the fuel tank tests were rigged. I owned a ’73 PU truck that was recalled at the time to put the shield on but I didn’t go just because I thought the hole thing stunk. And you are quiet correct about journalist who manufacture news in the tradition of Randolph Hurst (who told his reporters complaining about a lack of sensational exploitation by the Spanish of the Cuban populace "You give me a story, and I’ll give you a war!").

My comment on the gas tank was cautionary in that my cheesy plastic fuel cell is no more sophisticated than my gas can, but cost an arm and a leg by comparison. A large number of products are expensive because we live in a liturgical society and liability drives up the cost of things. (So to quote Shakespeare's Henry VI, let's "… kill all the lawyers.". With apologies to any practicing barristers, I must ask; If you’re admitted to the bar, why are you still practicing? Is it not "real" now, and not practice? Got to love semantics)

Big Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts