1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Ron here.

A diehard Chevy fan from the word go.
First car way back in 73 was a 66 Chevelle.
Next was a 68 Impala wagon.....a COPO car with a 425hp 427 4 speed. Mid 13's btw.....
Took that drivetrain and built a 68SS Chevelle.....mid 11's..eventually high tens, it was a "bit" lighter.
Bought a 70 SS396 Chevelle and made it into an SS454....high 11's with a simple 454.
Well, I raced the 70SS more than the 68SS, so I sold them both and bought the 69 Nova, Took the 454 from the 70 Chevelle, added a few parts, ok more than a few, and ran high tens. Drove it to the track. I wanted a driver.....I hated the trailer thing.
Last year I made the 454 into a 498.....added some decent parts....still a pump gas car, and managed to run low 10.20's.......faster than I've ever been. I still drive it to the track...and so far have always driven it home. Knock on wood....or my head.... No bottle or any of that stuff.

I love the Nova. Simple, effective, and I guess a bit unusual. Camaros and Chevelles seem to rule.

I just finished a new converter install, and a new 3.5" X exhaust system, and well, we will see what it can do in a week or so. I'd be stoked with a high nine, but wouldn't be surprised if it made no difference!

I'm 50, just bought a Cobalt SS supercharged, and live in Portland OR...I expect to be ready for the first rainout......

Would love to hear from other Nova owners...street, race or whatever.
Pretty fun to drive a 37 y/o car these days...huh?

Ron

·
Registered
301 Posts
498Ron said:
Pretty fun to drive a 37 y/o car these days...huh?
Yep, it is! I occasionally drive my 63 wagon (stock) around and it's 43 years old. Also have a 72 that's not stock, not really fast, but better than it used to be.:D It's really fun to drive. I'm hoping to make both more fun in the future.

Welcome to the site, Ron!

Dan (who wishes he were better than he used to be);)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Welcome to the site. Die hard Chevy runs in my blood. My grandfather was a GM mechanic for 35 years. I've got another 30+ years before I know 1/2 as much about cars as he did.

I don't get to enjoy driving my car yet since I'm still doing the body work on the hollow shell. I figure I'll have her done in 5-10 years, or at least driveable since as every one knows your never really done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined today I purchased a 70 Nova that used to be a race car . Back half ladder bars coil overs tubs 12point cage looking to take the drive train out of the El Camino to put in the Nova to run some 10.xx's . The Elky ran 11.2's with the small block. But STILL be a street car.
Got a long way to go, But will enjoy the ride

Mike

·
Registered
457 Posts
wecome ron sounds like you have a fun ride.i think you made a good dicision on the nova a bunch lighter than the chevelles.my 67 could still be streetable but i prefer to trailer because of the slicks its not my thing to change tires at the track or work on them when im racing unless really needed.i love my 67nova but i still had rather have a 68 thru 72 just for working on motor .the 67 is real tight for pulling trans bolts.as for as chevelles ruleing at our track its mostly novas or camaros.usually at 8 cars there will be at least 4 novas sitting in the stageing lanes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
50?!!! You're 50???!!!! no way!!

How's that back doing man? Glad to see you on a Nova site...it's way better than those import/front-wheel-drive sites you've been cruising :boring: although those sites often :beers: have hotter babes

Congrats on the 10.04...if that ain't knocking on the single-digit ET door I don't know what is!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DEL said:
50?!!! You're 50???!!!! no way!!

How's that back doing man? Glad to see you on a Nova site...it's way better than those import/front-wheel-drive sites you've been cruising :boring: although those sites often :beers: have hotter babes

Congrats on the 10.04...if that ain't knocking on the single-digit ET door I don't know what is!
My back sucks, but screw it. Time to deal with constant hurt and use 1/4 mile blasts to alleviate the pain.

BTW folks, DEL is a great friend with a Nova, a Buiclk Skylark, a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for me.......

Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
498Ron said:
My back sucks, but screw it. Time to deal with constant hurt and use 1/4 mile blasts to alleviate the pain.

BTW folks, DEL is a great friend with a Nova, a Buiclk Skylark, a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for me.......

Ron
He can't be that good of a friend if he's not bugging you to join us NW Nova guys...:waving:

We'd love to see you at local events or our monthly get togethers with a Nova in tow. I guess you could loosely call them "club meetings". Check out www.nwnova.com if you're interested. Next meeting is coming up on June 25th.

Yes, it's a blast to drive around these ancient relics. It makes my day when I get a thumbs up driving my beaten wreck around.

Welcome to the online Nova circles Ron.

-Brent

·
Registered
32 Posts
You gonna run somewhere else before the 23rd (Woodburn)? I wouldn't mind coming to watch if so.

My brothers and I had to watch that movie at least 50 times, I don't think there is a line I don't know...a classic!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
NovatoriusRex said:
We'd love to see you at local events or our monthly get togethers with a Nova in tow.
-Brent
Brent did you say "tow" ??? That is a 4-letter word to Ron. Sure he's got a 1050 CFM dominator, sure he's got 700 Horsepower, but he never tows his Nova :cool:

I've told him all about NW Nova but may have failed to mention the new meeting spot and the stellar pizza they serve :) I think he's afraid of breaking one of his 48 valve springs crossing the I205 bridge or something. :eek:

Ron is the "12th son of the Lamma" by the way...thats why he's got all the other trailered BBC powered guys coming up to him for advice lately...they will receive total consciousness.

·
Registered
62 Posts
DEL said:
Brent did you say "tow" ??? That is a 4-letter word to Ron. Sure he's got a 1050 CFM dominator, sure he's got 700 Horsepower, but he never tows his Nova :cool:

I've told him all about NW Nova but may have failed to mention the new meeting spot and the stellar pizza they serve :) I think he's afraid of breaking one of his 48 valve springs crossing the I205 bridge or something. :eek:

Ron is the "12th son of the Lamma" by the way...thats why he's got all the other trailered BBC powered guys coming up to him for advice lately...they will receive total consciousness.
Begging 1000 pardons, Sir Dave. :beers:

Drive, drag, push, carry, or run up the river on a barge, it dont make much difference how they get there. Extra points are given for driving though. :hurray:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
12th son of the Lamma, flowing robes, striking! Big hitter the Lamma, long......

Hey, I can't remember if Dave ever mentioned the meetings. But I'd love to attend. I tried the Map from your page, but nothing came up. I'm not real familiar with Vancouver.....

I also know a couple of othe Nova guys who might like to attend. Both always street driven, one in the 10's, the other mid 11's.

I only have double springs Dave....sheesh!

Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
498Ron said:
12th son of the Lamma, flowing robes, striking! Big hitter the Lamma, long......

Hey, I can't remember if Dave ever mentioned the meetings. But I'd love to attend. I tried the Map from your page, but nothing came up. I'm not real familiar with Vancouver.....

I also know a couple of othe Nova guys who might like to attend. Both always street driven, one in the 10's, the other mid 11's.

I only have double springs Dave....sheesh!

Ron
Oops, sorry about that. I've fixed the link to the Yahoo map on the NWNova home page. It's really easy to find. Take SR500 in Vancouver to St. John's Blvd and turn north. The restaurant is at the top of the hill on the right.

I'd love to see streetable 10 or 11 second Novas show up. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,
I will do my best to be there.
Looks like the 39th st exit off I5...right?
And I won't tow the Nova....I promise.
Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
498Ron said:
Thanks,
I will do my best to be there.
Looks like the 39th st exit off I5...right?
And I won't tow the Nova....I promise.
Ron
Ya got it. Just don't turn onto 39th when you take the exit off of I5. Keep going East on SR500 until you get to the first stoplight. That's St. Johns.

There's nothing in the club's bylaws that say a Nova can't be towed. They just shouldn't be. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless my Nova was towed before I bought it, when it was a fine 6 cly rubber floor mat car, with Fred Flinstone floorboards, it's never been towed.
AFIK.

BTW Chris.....Woodburn would toss me in a heartbeat if I ran a 9.9999, and would send letters to all of the Div 6 tracks banning me from racing till I got licensed. So I'll pass on giving Livingston any more of my money. Been there done that with the old Chevelle when I ran an 11.999, same story different car, different year. Somewhere I still have the letter!
The only time I might go there is on Chevy day, and then only as long as Buick Turbo Thunder is running at the same time.
I raced there for many years, helped them fix the timing equipment, supported the program and still, Livingston didn't know me from Adam. PIR is far superior, and way more fun. And a LOT closer.

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ron, I plan on making what (for me anyway) will be a historic voyage. I'm actually driving my Nova up to the next club meeting! This will by far be the longest trip I've taken with it since the very scary drive home from Hillsboro when I bought it in 2002 or so. From the sounds of it we could score a big night up there with a handful of Nova's in the parking lot. To quote Carl..."this could be gravy"

Ps. Just so you know...I don't share my pizza :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DEL said:
Ron, I plan on making what (for me anyway) will be a historic voyage. I'm actually driving my Nova up to the next club meeting! This will by far be the longest trip I've taken with it since the very scary drive home from Hillsboro when I bought it in 2002 or so. From the sounds of it we could score a big night up there with a handful of Nova's in the parking lot. To quote Carl..."this could be gravy"

Ps. Just so you know...I don't share my pizza :D
In that case, I'm committed! And I'll try to get ny Nova co-horts to show up too.
And I'll wear my welding gloves so when Dave tries to stab me with his fork, I'll be protected!

Eat pizza? "We can do that....we don't even need a reason!" Carl

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DEL said:
You'll like the waitress there...she's "lean, mean, and not to far in-between"
Must be Mrs. Green....Bark like a dog.......Bark....like....a....dog!
I got a salami to hide! You monkey woman.....

Right in the lumber yard!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts