Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find a replacement for my master cylinder. I have disc in the front and shoes in the back. I tried to find one that does not come with a booster to keep the car stock. I found one at Harmon's Auto when I search for Nova parts and it only states
1955-76 Bel Air, 150 & 210
1958-76 Impala, Biscayne & Caprice

Dual Master Cylinder (Manual Disc Front Brakes, Manual Rear Drum Brakes)

The sales person said it should have said Nova if it really fit.

I need to know if this cross reference with the Bel Air and Impala, Biscayne, Caprice will fit.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The master cylinder from any disc/drum GM car of that era will fit, like one from a Camaro, Chevelle, El Camino, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The problem is the car never shipped with disc brakes. Some one had to install them on your car before you bought it. As to which model and year they chose I have no idea. Best bet is to shop around for a seasoned (old) counter guy that can recognize what you have and find you a replacement. Once you know what it was off of make note of it and sell the info with the car.

Big Dave

·
Registered
794 Posts
1967 Novas came with front disc brakes as an option, and the master cylinder selection should be reflected in a good catalog. I used the m/c for a 67 El Camino on mine.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I stand corrected; the disc brake was an option for the first time with the introduction of dual master brake cylinders seperating the front brakes from the rear brakes for the first time. Very few cars out side of the SS package had them though. I would be surprised if these are OEM factory installed disc brakes (unless this is a very rare Nova SS wagon).

Big Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. I am not an expert, but I have to believe the disc brakes are original. I was very lucky to find this car and there was very little work needed to drive it. I have had it for 12 years now. The disc brakes are the four piston type. I recently replaced one and have relized the master cylinder is bad also. I have talked to local part dealers ( the old timers) and they feel there were many models of GM that could have had the same master cylinder. Thanks again.

Just to those who are wondering.

1967 Nova wagon
250 engine
Power rear window
Disc brakes in the front
Shoe brake in the rear
Power cylinder assist steering
The only thing wrong with the car is the speaker is dry rot.
I used to rock to the AM tunes.

G

·
the 4 piston calipers are very susceptible to rust... if one goes bad it's common place now to have them sleeved with stainless steel sleeves.

if you ever need that service done there's a link or two for that at the www.JollyRodder.com website.

good luck with the brake job, keep us updated and post up some pics when ya have time ;)

JR

·
Registered
245 Posts
Does your cowl tag have any numbers on it to indicate the car was equipted with Factory Disc brakes? My 67 SS as I was told by the second owner that the car had Factory Disc on it. I have every thing need to reinstall them as they were removed due to leaking calipers.

Here are the Factory part numbers for the set-up.

For 1967 Nova Factory DISC brake parts. Spindles-{#3902970L-3902969R} Brackets-{#1381720RH-1381721LH} {Sup.#3894482R-3894481L} Backing plates-{#1381722R-1381723L} Caliper Housing-Inner{#5468377R-{Sup.#5462029R} Inner-5468378L-{Sup.#5462028L} Outer-All {#5455534} DISC pads-{#5463191} All parts are for the 4-Piston type Caliper set up
Master cylinder # 5460421

I need the master as well so if you find a good factory replacment ..let me know.

Dave #3
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
245 Posts
according to "NovaResource" there were only 565 cars equipped in '67 with the disc brake option... the PRO code is J52

http://www.novaresource.org/rpo1.htm

pretty rare option :thumbsup:
Oh...Happy big 51 John!! :hurray: How close are ya to the AARP dicount! ;) :thumbsup: :p :D Hope your day went well!!

Now...What is the code on the cowl tag that says it has Factory Disc??

Thanks for the info FTMOB
I'm heading up to the cookie farm on Sunday. What will make you get off the couch John? {Besides the door bell!!}

Dave #3
67 Nova Boy

G

·
the complete cowl tag info isn't readily found :( there's NovaResource and Nova Research sites but none that i've found that lists all options that'd appear on the tag, sorry. they show the Metallic brake option but that may or may not mean discs, right ?

my search for links hasn't ended... i'm always on the look-out ;)

did you say COOKIES !!?? :eek: :D

i'm doin' OK for a FTM"O"B, thanks for the BD greetings ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
when i put disk on the front of mine , i was told by wildwood to use a 67? corvette master for manual brakes , works fine

·
Registered
245 Posts
the complete cowl tag info isn't readily found :( there's NovaResource and Nova Research sites but none that i've found that lists all options that'd appear on the tag, sorry. they show the Metallic brake option but that may or may not mean discs, right ?

my search for links hasn't ended... i'm always on the look-out ;)

did you say COOKIES !!?? :eek: :D

i'm doin' OK for a FTM"O"B, thanks for the BD greetings ;)
Ok...I'll decode for the "O" guy!

"Fatter then me "OLD" boy

Glad you had a great day with the daughter!! :yes: She sure does make you a better person when she ia around. :thumbsup: Then....she goes home and back to being ROTTEN!! ;) :D

Dave #3
67 Nova Boy

G

·
the 36367 Corvette master is a 1" bore but is listed for 4whl-disc manual brakes.

a different application should be used for front discs/rear drums

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.