Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Manual Valve Body Powerglide?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  62 NovaWagon 
#1 ·
Hello, all. I came across a 1971 Nova with a powerglide and a B&M Prostick. I know nothing about the history of this car (long story). I am trying to figure out if it has a manual valve body. I’ve never driven a car with a manual valve body transmission (or with a Prostick for that matter). I’m also trying to figure out if it is a reverse gate shifter.

What is the easiest way to determine if the transmission shifts automatically, or if I have to shift it manually? I’m assuming it has the normal shift pattern of PRNDL. Shall I just put it in drive and see if it shifts? At what approximate RPM should I feel the shift? How do I determine if it is indeed a reverse pattern? The car has a big cammed 383 and what I believe to be a 3,000 stall speed torque converter, but not confirmed.

Please excuse my ignorance. I’d appreciate any input you have to offer.

#2 ·
Welcome to Team Nova!

Well, it's real easy to determine what it is, put it in drive and if it starts out in high gear you know it's manual, at the same time you'll know if it's a reverse pattern or not, because if it's a reverse pattern low gear will be in drive..

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and response. I forgot to mention that the car also has a trans brake. Does this mean it is indeed a manual valve body? If I am understanding, a reverse pattern ‘glide will be PRNLD, correct?

If it is a manual valve body, when approaching a stop, can I come to a complete stop, and THEN shift to 1st, or is it necessary to shift down to first prior to making the stop?

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.