Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Mallory Unilite on my engine, and was interested in converting it to an HEI setup. Is there a wiring guide? I noticed that my unilite has a harness that leads from the body to the coil. The HEI only has a harness ( a three wire harness from the body to a connector end) , and I am not sure what it leads to. How does the tach wire to it? Do I have to re-wire or change the current set-up that I have? Do I still need need my coil?

If someone has a webpage that I can refer to, or a guide on hand, please let me know. Thank you for the help, and I appreciate this site and all of the knowledge it has given me.

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Go to Mallory's website. They have a multitude of wiring diagrams on there for different situations. If they don't have it pm me and i will go look at my Unilite instructions. they do have an adapter for their elec box to Hei . If you are going to a factory type HEI, keep in mind that the factory setup has the coil under the cap and all you should need is the 2 or 3 wires from the factory loom if it is wired for hei. The tach wire hooks to one of the lugs on the hei cap. If you are using the Mallory coil and box you can get rid of both of them with the HEI. Personally, I would keep the Unilite unless there is a problem with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a toss-up for me if I should switch to HEI. My unilite works great, I just thought the HEI would add some additional performance. What are the advantages or disadvantages of the unilite over the HEI? (or vice versa)

Maybe I should keep the unilite afterall.

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I guess the main advantage would be is that it is already installed and working. Most any aftermarket distributor setup will be better than a stock HEI. I can't remember for sure but it seems like the stock HEI tends to scatter spark at high rpm and the coil voltage is not as much as aftermarket. Also, the coils tend to burn out quick from heat in the HEI. The aftermarket HEI's are better than stock and even some of them have pulled the coil from inside the cap and made elec mods to them. As Henry Ford said "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts