Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have been constantly disappointed by the traction of my 74 coupe. It is not a daily driver, but it is driven a few times a week, every other month a run at the strip. I am running about 375 – 400hp with a turbo 350 – 2200 stall convertor. Stock rear end, new bushings, 245/65/15 radial TA’s. It is almost impossible to take off from a stop light without spinning the tires and making a starting turn is impossible without spinning.
I have looked into sway bars, traction bars, bolt on 4 link suspension, etc. not really finding a good answer.
Today I called Caltracs inquiring into installing them on my car. The technical help guy told me that Caltracs would not help until I got some street/strip tires with more traction. He said they would be a waste with low traction tires like I have. I was hoping to find an answer that didn’t involve using such low mileage life tires.
What have you done to fix this issue?
Does anyone have any other ideas? Even if there isn’t a single fix, what would be the progression of parts installation to get the best out of the car?
Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Start with expensive low mileage high traction sticky tires from Mickey Thompson or Hoosier. Bigger is better.

In every situation suspension upgrades start with the tire. The bigger the tire contact patch the greater will be your traction, in braking, accelerating and in cornering.

High mileage rock hard street tires get their great mileage by not rubbing away the tire. They instead spin harmlessly on the rock hard pavement like a steel wheel on a steel rail.

I used to buy a new set of tires once a month. Though I have put on one set of tires that never left the tire store parking lot. I was told by the store manager that he would replace the tires if I could burn the tires down to the threads in the parking lot. Not only did I do that but I ate a hole in his asphalt drive doing it. Lots and lots of tire smoke.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
They actually have the traction written on the side wall.

From Mickey Thompson you want a M8 or a R2 compound, for a street/strip DOT drag radial you want an R1 compound. You want a C06 or a C07 compound in a Hoosier tire.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have heard and seen good things from the Nitto Drag radials, BF Goodrich drag radials, and the Mickey Thompson Drag radials. They actually have a decent lifespan on them and hook up very well.

It sounds like the Radial T/A's you have are old. With a stock rear end (2.73-3.07?) you shouldn't be spinning like that.

Also, a lot of power doesn't mean a thing if you can't put it to the ground. It would be wise to start looking into upgrading the rear end and rear suspension. And yes, cal tracs are definitely the way to go when you get to that point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.