Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Leak from output shaft???

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 · (Edited)
I removed my drive shaft then had to go out of town for two months, after about two weeks my fience said that I started having a leak from the rear of my tranny, I am home now and I am wondering why it is leaking from there and what I need to do to fix it. I didnt think that having the drive shaft removed would cause tranny fluid to leak out but i've definatlly been wrong before! I apreciate all the help and expertise!
Also, its a 700r4 incase that helps...

#4 ·
That seal is not pressure tight so if you park the car on an angle on the drive over time you will get a leak as well. It will hold fluid when sealled, on level ground, if driven every three months or so to keep the seal plyable.

Here is what Shiffty was talking about:

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...oduct_Code=POW301230&Category_Code=DRIVETRAIN

If nothing else it illustrates the difference in size (and strength) between the TH400 and theTH350 output shaft.

Big Dave

#5 ·
The leak was probably caused when the torque converter drained back into the transmission case overfilling it. This happens in cars that sit for extended periods. Usually the leak occurs at the dip stick tube, the fluid level should not get high enough to leak out of the rear if the car is sitting level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.