Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curently restoring a 69 nova ss. Going to put the L88 open chamber 427 back in and was wondering....

With a 4spd tranny (give me a suggestion on brand/type) and 5.38 rear end gears in the back what cam should lift and duration should i use???
Any suggestions welcome...

---Thanks

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
aznpariah said:
I am curently restoring a 69 nova ss. Going to put the L88 open chamber 427 back in and was wondering....

With a 4spd tranny (give me a suggestion on brand/type) and 5.38 rear end gears in the back what cam should lift and duration should i use???
Any suggestions welcome...

---Thanks
WOW that should be one wild beast when your done...IMO, since your talking L88 why not go for that old school feel and use the L88 cam? It has .560/.580 lift and 264/269 duration @ .050" With that cam you would likely want at least 4.10 gearing so that the motor will be able to get into the power band faster. The 5.38 gearing you are talking about would likely work well but it is pretty steep is this Nova going to see any street time? This would not be a car you would be able to drive on the highway for very long...But for short runs and for draging it will be a freaking blast...again JMO...

I would think you will need a muncie and possibly, JMO, you will want the close ratio version so that the RPMs will stay high after the shift and remain in the power band of a motor like this.

It should sound wild and rev like heck, with all the right parts, but IMO it wont come to life untill 3000-3500rpm and when it does though it will run like a bat outa hell....

some pics would be nice I'm sure there are many people here that would love to see it...BTW Welcome to the site.

Oh one last thing to think about...5.38 gears with a 26" tall rear tire that motor will have to Rev at 5000rpm just to do 71 MPH so you can see why I said it wont be a good car for highway use...

here is a link to a website where you can play with a few variables to see what the motor will be reving at

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are much better more modern designed cams. I took the old L-88 out and put in a Crane F256. This was almost 30 years ago and it was a far better design. I would bet the more modern stuff is even better.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Mike Feudo said:
There are much better more modern designed cams. I took the old L-88 out and put in a Crane F256. This was almost 30 years ago and it was a far better design. I would bet the more modern stuff is even better.
I agree that there are likely better cams out there I was just saying for an old school feel that might be a way to go.....if you really want the best all out performance I would suspect it would be hard to beat a roller cam...But your right that cam design has came a long way in the last 30 years so there might be something that will give him the performance he is looking for without the massive duration that most of the factory performance stuff had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm thinking with going with new tech. And yeah I know about the highway... my dad tells me its singing in the rpms doing 70 down the highway....

Oh and I wanted to tell everyone that I got some pics on my webpage i wouldn't be able to upload more than one on here so go to:

http://groups.myspace.com/Riceeatersracingdepartment

and click group photos.
Some pics arent the greatest and looking at them dosen't show the car now as great because it's cleaned up a little.... hopefully i'll get some more pics in better lighting with my good camera up this weekend or next week sometime. but in the meantime check them out!

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I used to have a L-88 in my Baldwin-Motion '68 Camaro with 5.38's. Ran consistent ten-teens with tunnel ram Vertex mag and a Crane cams bottom of page solid roller. Problem with that set up is valve train. Was continually sucking valves due to constant high RPM operation. You will have to check the springs every week-end with that kind of gearing to see if they have gone soft. I eventually got tired of that and went back to a nice streetable 4.56 and a less radical solid roller.

My recommendation for a cam would be CompCams solid roller grind number 308R part number 11-693-8 with 264°/264° duration @ 0.050" and lift of 0.652" intake 0.652" exhaust on a 110° LSA. It isn't bottom of the page but you will be able to live with it on the street and feel it pulling at the drags.

Big Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
big dave.....i have the 308r i was going to try.how do you think it would work in a 10.2 to 1 496 with aftermarket alum heads and an 850 holly? its just a braket car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was the motor a 68? cuz my has open chambers ha ha ha!!!

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Bigger displacement will act as though you had bumped it up a line on the cam chart. Depending upon your rear gear it should be a good choice otherwise, though you will be giving up bottom end if you drive on the street with a low number rear gear.

Big Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i've limited my choices to to cams...well kits rather.

Comp Cams: K-11-213-3 (292/292-.550/.550) 2,500-6,000rpm
or
Comp Cams: K-11-214-4 (305/305-.575/.575)3,000-7,000 rpm

Which is going to give me the better setup? Is and extra $50 worth it for the bigger cam???

Gimme your $.02....
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Accidentally left the last three pictures I had of my car at a local speed shop when we got to "remebering" how good the good ole days were. (senior moment on my part). Here are two threads from another board I frequent about car and the speed shop.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79720

Actually couldn't find second link so I will repost as Old school Speed shop in Bench racing.

Big Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts