Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the profile comparison of Keisler T45RS v. Muncie:

- Notice the Muncie is actually taller than T45RS at the case/extension joint

- Originally designed and made in Muncie, IN. The Muncie (est. 1929) and Warner gear (est. 1919) plants were just 3 miles apart!

- Fully synchronized including reverse, Muncie has no reverse synchronization.

- Same weight as Tremec TKO

- Low profile main case design fits many cars as well as Muncie, IN THAT AREA. Fits better than TKO IN THAT AREA ONLY.

- Not as broad as TKO due to single rail shift design but still broader than the Muncie.

- Much larger gears than the T5 equalling much greater strength. DO NOT CONFUSE T45RS WITH T5, THEY ARE GREATLY DIFFERENT.

- T45RS shares the same synchro parts as its big brother T56 6 speed for superior shift quality.

The Keisler T45RS has proven to be a robust and reliable 5 speed overdrive transmission. It is an excellent lower cost option to the TKO for those who do not require the TKOs strength or are working on a lower budget.

Attachments

G

·

i don't know if these would be helpful to you guys at Keisler, i have side by side shots of the TKO & Muncie and side by sides of the TKO & T5 in the above album. (click image to view)

hey, also if you don't mind... i know Shafi's probably a busy guy, i sent him a PM a few days ago about "Tech Links" at your website... could you ask him to take a peek at my PM and get back to me if it's OK ?

sorry to hijack the thread, i'd be happy to delete my post if you'd like.

thanks for posting that side by side, i think it'll be helpful to our members ;)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize for the delay, Shafi is a busy guy and I don`t even think he sleeps. Don`t delete the post, all information is welcome. I appreciate the offer on the pics but we have more than we know what to do with! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Do you guys have specs on the torque ratings compared to the Muncie. People do want to buy a manual OverDrive transmission, but everyone thinks that their crate 350 that they bought will break anything short of a Muncie (because it was used behind a BBC) or a T-56 (used behind a Viper V-10) or the TKO 600 because that is the biggest tranny they are aware of. We always tell our users not to buy a used T-5 as it was designed for Pinto Power (and the biggest V-8 motor that it was ever used with was a smog era 305 early EFI V-8 which wasn't much more powerful than a Pinto)

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys have specs on the torque ratings compared to the Muncie. People do want to buy a manual OverDrive transmission, but everyone thinks that their crate 350 that they bought will break anything short of a Muncie (because it was used behind a BBC) or a T-56 (used behind a Viper V-10) or the TKO 600 because that is the biggest tranny they are aware of. We always tell our users not to buy a used T-5 as it was designed for Pinto Power (and the biggest V-8 motor that it was ever used with was a smog era 305 early EFI V-8 which wasn't much more powerful than a Pinto)

Big Dave
I am still waiting on a response from our lead engineer who worked for Muncie and Borg-Warner both. I don`t think there was a published torque rating for the Muncies, I found the following information about the Muncie online but have no idea on it`s accuracy.

M-22- 500 ft/lbs
M-21- 450 ft/lbs
M-20- 425 ft/lbs

Just for comparison:

T45RS/350- 350 constant ft. lbs.

T45RS/425- 425 constant ft. lbs.

TKO 500- 500 constant ft. lbs. (5000 lb. veh. weight!)

TKO 600- 600 constant ft. lbs. (5000 lb. veh. weight!)

T56- 475-650 ft. lbs.

T56 Magnum- 700 ft. lbs.

T5- 230-300 ft. lbs.

I agree about the T5, with engine technology progressing like it has the T5 isn`t much more than a conversation piece.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
I'm surprised the Muncie was that strong. GM pretty much reverse engineered Borg Warner's T-10 adding meat to the gears and increasing the root diameter making everything bigger for strength, but then made the case out of thin aluminum that flexed or broke under load.

Big Dave

·
Registered
840 Posts
What is the price for the
T45RS/350- 350 constant ft. lbs.

T45RS/425- 425 constant ft. lbs.

I'm thinking this would make a fine for the old saggy that is in the 62 when the v8 is installed.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T45RS/350- $1399 basic kit

T45RS/425- $1799 basic kit

This gets you:

Trans

Slip yoke

Pilot bearing

Speedometer components

B/U light harness

New isolator mount

Basic hardware

6 month warranty

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised the Muncie was that strong. GM pretty much reverse engineered Borg Warner's T-10 adding meat to the gears and increasing the root diameter making everything bigger for strength, but then made the case out of thin aluminum that flexed or broke under load.

Big Dave
I agree, I found those numbers online and who knows where they came from. There were no published GM torque ratings for the Muncies that I could find. Anybody else know real numbers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts