Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if this is a job that I can handle and do myself. I have no experience with upholstery, but if it's something I can do, and save $150-$200 bucks...it's worth it. Can this be completed in 1 day?? Is there a detailed site that can guide me through the job? Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

so-cal Jack

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. I am concerned about removing, and the prep before I install the headliner. What parts will I need (factory headliner clips????) , tools, materials..etc. I guess I'll have to try and see for myself, but I'm worried that I won't be prepared and make something simple.....more complex.

thanks

so-cal Jack

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are careful removing the rods from the clips you should only need the new headliner, glue, and patience. (I still have a boatload of 1" paper clips if you need them)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have no need for the clips, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. It would help, since I don't even know how many I will need. I would appreciate that, and it would help me get started.

Thanks

so-cal Jack

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What exactly would a "complete" headliner kit have? Do I have to buy new rods?? I just need a list of the parts I need, and not get duped into buying a "complete headliner kit" that is only the fabric.

so-cal Jack

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been MIA for a while, but it's good to be back. I was wondering...Where to start for replacing my 71 Nova headliner. What needs to be removed....and what stays? Any suggestions with the what tools and materials I will need? Anyone have any leftover tools or materiasl that they don't need from doing this job?

I am in no rush to get this done...and I thought I could gain some experience from doing this myself. The part that I'm worried about is if I do more necessary work than needed to do the job.

thanks in advance....

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the headliner is like a 68 Camaro and a 70 Nova, It's been a while but here is what I remember.
When taking out the rods Number them front to back, the order is critical. I even marked mine left to right.
Get a bunch ( 50 ) of medium size Butterfly clips from Staple's or Office depot. The one' that are usually black and you squeeze the clip's to open and clamp papers etc. They are VERY cheap and should only cost around $10.
Get 3M spray adhesive.
You will have to trim sides of the headliner down to fit the rods, BE VERY CARE NOT TO TRIM TOO MUCH!
Mark the center of the headliner, so that driver and passenger sides are centered.
Install the headliner on to to rods.
Install the center rod first and then work out from there.
Use the clips to dry fit and stretch headliner into place.
Then you start applying the glue and work from the center to the front or back.
Sail panel area is last.
Here is a link from someone who has more detailed info
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46867&highlight=headliner

Ray

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Ray has it nailed. Be patient do not rush the job. It is also best to do it on a warm day, not so much for you, but the material is easier to work with. The best advice I can give you is to get some quotes from experienced auto upholstery shops. It may be reasonable enough to not have to deal with doing it yourself.

Another 4th gen perk is having a 1 piece headliner that just pops into place :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently replaced my headliner. Me and a buddy did the install in about an hour and a half. Just go slow and mark your rods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced my headliner it took about 2 1/2 hrs by myself. to pull old one down and get frontt half back up and tight. Then I had to leave and did the back the next day and it tokk me about 1 hr to finish. Make sure that you get it tight, and be careful the sheet metal is super sharp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts