Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everybody, I am having a hard time choosing a good , well put together front end for my 67
Chassisworks and tci , I am concidering
Any input would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
From Chris Alston's Chassis Works shop I am familiar with both of his Mustang II versions (with one version designed for coil springs and another designed for coil overs) and the more expensive Strange Engineering MacPherson strut design but not with TIC's offering. Do you have a reference, or link to jog my memory?

Big Dave

G

·
both make an excellent product, both have excellent customer service after the sale... you can't go wrong with either.

another brand to toss into the mix for consideration, in my opinion, would be Church Boys racing... again, an excellent product with fantastic before/after the sale customer service.

one the complete front end comes off, the other (CBR) you're utilizing the factory frame rails & inner fenders and everything is pretty much a weekend job. the aftermarket clips, well, they're not really a bolt on and they won't be done in a weekend.

ChassisWorks, TCI, Heidt's, Church Boys racing et-al all have an excellent product... how will you be using the car?

here is some reading material for ya...

http://www.superchevy.com/multimedi...uspension-challenge-church-boys-63-nova/9474/

http://www.superchevy.com/features/nova/sucp_1102_church_boy_racing_1963_chevrolet_nova_ss/

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...formation/1st Genner Church Boys Racing info/

·
Registered
181 Posts
I purchased the tci pro touring clip.I haven't started installing the clip yet but it appears to be well designed and fabricated.Shipping was easy and customer service so far has been an 8 out of 10.
I looked at all options and for the cost this seemed to be a good option.
Alston wasn't too helpful over the phone,kinda like are you going to spend 5 grand or am I just wasting my time talking to you.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Sorry about that! It is another example of my dyslexia popping up again. Should have been TCI not tic which is what I was reading (or my brain was anyway).

TCI I have heard of, but I have not researched them (I have several years worth of Chassis Works catalogs and have bought their back half kit in the past). I haven't heard any bad things about TCI if that helps any.

Big Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the reply, I do like the camber adjust settings on the tci unit, if one were to autocross.
I will do more research with the info you guys gave me , thanks again.
Lmonkey, I sent you a pm, if you by chance, can keep us posted on the install that would be great
I will do a video of my install probably with my go pro..
Chow

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry Dean haven't had a chance to do anything. I've been putting the build on hold for a while now.I will try and share how things go together. Haven't had much time lately works been busy which is good I guess.Who wants to work when we could be building hot rods right. I need a new job lol.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I am a big fan of the Chassisworks setup. They do have good customer service. I dropped into their showroom a few times over the last couple of months and the guys there are very knowledgeable and helpful as to what they can offer for your cars.

On top of that, all of their parts are pieces of art work. Absolutely beautiful stuff comes out of that shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good morning everybody, I am having a hard time choosing a good , well put together front end for my 67
Chassisworks and tci , I am concidering
Any input would be appreciated
Deano, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Just to give a couple of the high points of the Chassisworks front clips, here are some things to think about.
-We are the only manufacturer that offers a 2x4 main rail and crossmember.
-Spindle centerline pulled 1/2" toward firewall to center wheel in fender opening.
-Hub width narrowed 3/4" per side for better wheel selection options.
-Wilwood brakes require no booster, work great with a dual chamber manual m/c. Will fit 11-3/4" rotor inside a 15" disc brake wheel.
-Modern geometry.
-Can be equipped with Varishock coil-overs or Shockwaves.
-Lightens the front of the car by 60-70 pounds or more.
-Wide range of adjustability for caster, camber and toe so you can tune it for drag racing or autocross.

For more details, check out the data sheet by clicking HERE or individual components and instruction sheets by clicking HERE.

Literally every component has some sort of upgrade available whether it is for performance or appearance. If you have questions, I'm happy to answer them for you. My direct extension is 247 or you can email me: [email protected] And no, I'm not commisioned. :thumbsup:

From Chris Alston's Chassis Works shop I am familiar with both of his Mustang II versions (with one version designed for coil springs and another designed for coil overs) and the more expensive Strange Engineering MacPherson strut design but not with TIC's offering. Do you have a reference, or link to jog my memory?
Dave, I think you may have us confused with someone else. Possibly Heidts as they recently aquired Alston Race Cars (which has no relation to us.) This happens all the time, more lately.

We actually don't offer ANYTHING that is Mustang II based except for our pure drag race, full custom weld-in a-arm clip. We also don't offer any clip with coil-springs.

Our front clip is a clean sheet design, we engineered the whole system using state of the art software. We manufacture nearly every single piece in house in Sacramento.

We do offer a NoFab strut front end. We designed it to work with our special 6" travel Varistruts but it can also be equipped with our standard 4" or a Strange strut. This clip is for drag racing only and is what Chris Jr has on his car. Clicky!

Alston wasn't too helpful over the phone,kinda like are you going to spend 5 grand or am I just wasting my time talking to you.
Lmonkey; I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience over the phone. I know you went another direction with your current car but I hope you'll give us a chance to earn your business if you need anything else.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Carl, I appreciate your response. When I was shopping for a front clip I called a few company's, chassisworks being one of them.I actually wanted to go with chassis works one because of the positive reputation and two because your a local company in the area I live in.I'm sure it was a simple mis understanding it just seemed like I wasn't getting the answers to the questions I was asking.I had a hard time understanding the various levels and parts included in the different packages you offered.
As it is with the wildwood upgrade etc I'm into it close to 5 grand.Thanks again,I will keep chassis works in mind in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have talked to several different companies in the past few days, Carl (Alston) being one of them, learnt a lot in our short conversation, just the big money, although you did say it was complete, it would work for me.
5400+

Another person I talked with , Steve at TCI , did talk up the parts available at your local napa dealer, I definitely liked that aspect, if it were to be true.
I am still waiting for the quote ( specific ) that we were talking about Friday morning , that's a hit on his part in the P.R. Department.
4500+ some extras
I guess the quote I receive will break it down.

I also spoke to a gentleman at roadsters shop , I like the idea of using my zo6 calipers and rotors ( parts from c6 I recently sold ) in this combination, saves me some money, I couldn't believe it , a quote in less than ten minutes.
6200. , ouch

SO CONFUSED,

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Are you comparing the same components? OR apples to oranges?

Most start with rectangular tubing; which can vary in size and wall thickness and if they used DOM or the cheaper ERW that is bent first then welded together to form a box. Then they hang suspension parts off it.

Are those parts fabricated out of flat plate (labor intensive), or from formed steel punched out of a die (expensive tooling initially, but the price per part drops with use).

Then we look at what the parts are made out of that are bolt on. Are the A-arms tubular weldment or cast as on the late model Corvette and Mustang (there is a considerable difference in cost and unsprung weight). Are the tubular arms made of chromemoly alloy or mild steel?

Here chromemoly sounds exotic and is stronger and lighter than mild steel but with a hidden cost. When you have to consider that chromemoly work hardens and is prone to cracking (not to mention it has to be TIG welded and inspected as it doesn't weld easily) it will have to be replaced sooner than the mild steel part (this is why all NHRA chromemoly cages are inspected every five years and welding on them is prohibited because the inspectors want to see if they are still safe).

Then we look at spindles and hubs. Are they FORD parts for a Mustang II redrilled to fit a Chevy? (noting wrong with that as Ford made them good and strong). Reason I bring it up is your Corvette parts might not be as good a fit as lighter (not better) Ford Mustang Cobra parts are in terms of cost (as both cars offered big brakes; but there are more Mustangs on the road than Corvettes so economy of scale says the Ford part will be cheaper to make). It is also important to know when looking for replacement parts or modifying what you have so you are not tied to only one source for parts (monopolies rarely offer the best pricing).

Finally how the suspension works differs. A coil over shock A-arm is different in design and function that a coil spring A-arm which differs again from a modified MacPherson strut design. The coil overs cost more to buy but offer advantages of an adjustable ride height, as well as ease in changing out the springs to meet different track conditions (you can have a lumber wagon hard ride spring rate for race day and swap out your springs for a marshmallow soft ride home in less than an hour). Shocks are as important as tires though few think so. A quality double adjustable shock is mandatory for racing, and it makes street cruising a lot more comfortable as well. Few people have competitive cars when equipped with only non-adjustable shocks.

Big dave

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I purchased two Heindts front ends in recent years for my 63 and 65 Chevy 2s. Both were expensive at $6500.00. I was told this was the direction to go for street/strip. I have buddies with drag race only applications that use the strut system. This is better for the track but does not hold up to daily driving well. It also costs about a 1000 more.

This included master cylinder, disk brakes, double adjustable coil overs, tubular upper and lower control arms, inner fenders, calipers, rotors, flaming river steering. I race one of the cars quite a bit and have been pleased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you big Dave for the input, was considering the roadster shop like I had mentioned, I believe I will go with tci or chassisworks, looking into the heidts unit now
Thank you gentleman, I wish I could see one of them in front of me.
One of the reasons I moved to this part of the country was the car enthusiasts,hope to see one of these units soon, if you producers are monitoring this thread, a location of one of your units in this vicinity would surely help me in my decision
Thank you, dean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you gentleman, I wish I could see one of them in front of me.
One of the reasons I moved to this part of the country was the car enthusiasts,hope to see one of these units soon, if you producers are monitoring this thread, a location of one of your units in this vicinity would surely help me in my decision
Thank you, dean
Haha, I wasn't aware that we had spoken on the phone! Had I known it was you I probably would have given you slightly different information as there is a fair amount covered in this thread already.

Unfortunately we won't be in your area for any shows this year, not even Washington. If you send me an email I can send you pictures of several different cars with our systems installed. [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
wow. i thought these systems where as advertised $1500-$3500 looks like i will be saving up for a while. maybe craiglist.. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts