Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 76 Nova with a 250 4.1L inline 6. Has a 1bbl Rochester Monojet MV carburetor. The engine is rebuilt. Has rebuilt carburetor. New starter w/solenoid, distributor, and ignition coil. Battery is in good health and is charged. Car will not start. I have spark at all six plugs. When I try to start, sometimes the starter will not even make a noise. Other times it turns over, but the engine wont even sputter. I looked inside the carburetor and I don't think any fuel is being pumped into the intake. I cracked the fuel line at the carb and saw that there is fuel coming from the pump. It is fresh fuel that I put in the tank. I have gone and re-timed the distributor just in case, but still no luck. I have ground straps going from the block to the frame to the body and then to the battery. Can anyone tell me what I might be over looking or where to start checking and for what. I could really use the help. Thanks in advance. If you need more info from me to help, just let me know.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Is the engine even turning over? Fuel into the carb is easy. remove the air filter and grab the throttle linkage and pull it back while looking down the carb. If fuel is making into the carb it is making it into the engine most likely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the starter wants to work, the engine does turn over. I looked into the car while pulling the throttle linkage aand did not see any fuel go into the intake.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
You may want to replace the fuel pump or you could have something clogging the fuel line at the tank to the pump. It wont matter if the engines spins over or not, no fuel it wont run. If you got intermittent issue on the starter start looking for bad or loose wiring or even your ignition switch or wiring. Just because the starter and solenoid are new, doesn't mean you have a good working unit. You can take it out and take it to an autoparts store, most will test it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts