Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy who previously owned the car couldn't fix the key cylinder and wired a push button start instead. I have replaced the key cylinder and I want to be able to start the car using the keys. I havent been able to find the rod on the column and was wondering where to locate one.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I figured you had a car someone had "borrowed" at one time or another as thieves would jam a screw driver in the ignition switch (keyhole) and the twist to shear the pin in the steering column that locked it; then yank the rod (which generally bent it) to start the car using the electrical switch at the base of the steering column.

I had a '71 Nova I bought at auction that had been recovered stripped, and a '73 Camaro as project cars that had suffered that fate (back when these cars were sold for the price of scrap).

Didn't mean to come across as being a smart Alec (though as a punster I have a real hard time resisting a straight line).

Big Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddies dad told me that at one time someone tried to steal the car. He had a friend that just wired a push button instead of fixing it the right way. When the local police pull me over they think I stoled the car by the look of my key Ignition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts