Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Is $1,000 asking price

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys here's the deal. I have an 81 El Camino SS that I have decided needs to find a new home. I am looking for opinions fo a good starting price. I know, it is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. I also know pictures will give you a better idea of what you are looking at, but, instead I will try to describe it accurately.

The Good: It has a pretty straight body, and other than the passenger fender, I believe it still has original paint. The passenger fender has some surface rust starting to peek through the paint, but the car is a rust-free Ca car otherwise. The chrome trim around the bed is in good shape, with the exception of the tailgate piece. It runs and can be driven. The frontend has been rebuilt recently, and does not have very miles on it.

The Bad: Although it runs, it smokes upon startup. I am pretty sure the valve seals and guides need serious attention. It also will not pass a Ca smog test. I think the cam has some bad lobes. If I was going to keep the car, I would rebuild the engine. The interior needs a new headliner, carpet, and the seat re-upholstered. The tilt/up/down on the six-way seat needs fixed.

Options: Power steering, power brakes, power windows and locks, 6-way power drivers seat, 60/40 split bench, tilt, cruise, Super Sport package, 305 V-8.

Would you think $1,000 is reasonable, too high, or too low??

Thanks for your opinions!!

Randy

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
well to me, in that place I like to call "Duane's World":rolleyes: and considering what you have described as being both "bad & good", so to speak, with the elky I would say that $1000 is in the correct ball park...again JMO and remember I have no freaking idea what an elky goes for in Cali. :)

EDIT: Of course my opinion might change if I were to see pics of the Elky

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, actually what it is all about is all those threads about guys findings car that are rotting away, but the owner saying "I'm gonna fix it up someday" while it continues to sit and rot. I know there are too many other projects that are going to be ahead of the Elky. Besides, it is still subject to smog checks, so that really limits what I can do with it performance-wise. If I end up with my own house here real soon, I won't be able to leave the car at my parent's. Dad don't like the place looking like a wrecking yard!

Randy (project thinning!!);)

G

·
send it to the scrapper and get rid of it....

strip it down and sell the stuff individually... won't pass smog ya said.

SCRAP IT CLYDE !!! ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scrap it????? But there were only about 10,000 SS El Caminos made in 81! Someday it may have a collector following, kinda like the Novas are enjoying now.

Randy (knowutImean!!!):D

G

·
it's a car that needs bucks ta pass smog, it has rust in it so it needs repair, needs paint, upholstery... sure sell it for a thousand and get rid of it... i dunno... prolly make more money on it in parts... just my opinion...

YER not gonna fix it so it won't be YOUR treasure... SCRAP IT CLYDE ;)

Johnny (Hardcase) #273

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear what you're saying, but selling it whole is less hassle. When parting a car, there is always something left over that you have to get rid of. Plus the hassle of dismantling it. I think it better to just stick a for sale sign on it and see what happens.

Randy (LazyButtWalt):eek:

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
I have a 78, runs good has a little friendlyness (panel is waving) in the door and similiar interior problems to yours. I have been offered $3k for it and turned it down. I have seen several sell in this area for $2500 - $4000. It will just take the right buyer to show up. $1000 should make it a quick sale.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree, it should fetch $1000 easy. Look through the paper for a car for a grand and Im pretty sure youre not gonna find much, especially a car with option packages. You must keep in mind that $1000 these days aint much, especially for a complete car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts