Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Autometer Monster tach, and want to mount it on my steering column. Some people have told me that I can use a hose clamp fed through the bracket to mount it. I am trying to avoid drilling into anything, and I do like the tach mounted on the column.

Do they even sell hose clamps that fit around a steering column? Any advice on this approach will be appreciated, along with some and easy "wiring guide" as well. (i'm not a fan of wiring)

thanks

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have one mounted on the column in my 69. It is a tight fit but it will work. Yes they do sell clamps that big. Just go down to your local Ace or hardware store in the plumbing section. It will not work on a tilt column it has to be non tilt. If you want to see a pic of mine just send me your e-mail and I'll be glad to send you a pic. I can get the wiring info for you tomorrow when I go back to the garage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all of the information. I guess I'll have to see what works on my column. If I can't find a big enough clamp, then I'll just connect a few to get the size I need.

The part that I'm dreading is the wiring. I just hope I don't short something out. :)

I appreciate all of the help and advice.

So-Cal Jack

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
The wiring isn't complicated. First disconnect the battery!!!! There should only be 3 wires. A ground, one for the light and one that hooks to the ignition coil. If it is a conventional point system the wire goes to the - terminal on the coil, if a GM HEI it will go in the cap at the terminal marked TACH. If an aftermarket system follow the instructions that came with the distributer. Double check all connections are correct before reconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate all of your information. Especially when coming from a first timer like me, it's sometimes difficult to find "hands on advice".

1quick69.....the pictures were great and gave me a very nice visual of the finished project. Thanks!!

I'll tackle this tach this weekend. If any other information comes along, please feel free to let me know.

So-Cal Jack

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another cheap tech trick. Wrap a piece of electrical tape around the column before you install the clamp and tach. This will protect the column from scratches,

Good Luck Jack :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you mentioned the electrical tape trick because I was wondering if the clamp would scratch or mark up the column.

Thanks for the tip.

So-Cal Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.