Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to ID a camshaft?

I pulled the camshaft out of a small block 400. There is no name brand located on the cam, only a few different set of numbers, and a sequence of letters. The bottom has 11-23-00 and 2000353 stamped on it. I don't have the cam in front of me to recall the exact descriptions along the cam, but there is a 15 and a RCWC.

From what my father in law can tell me about it, is that it's a pretty hot cam, it sounded lopey, and performed very well. Can any of you help me out and tell me how to find the specs of this cam?

thanks

So-Cal Jack

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
A dial indicator and a degree wheel (11" diameter works best for me; 9" to small to see and 14" gets in the way of everything when checking it in a car) will tell you everything you want to know. I would suggest putting it on your Christmas list as it can save money in the long run.

Other than that you will have to Google it (Ask, Yahoo, whatever you like), and see what pops up. Cam manufactures change grinds (and the grind numbers) faster than some sex workers change their under clothes.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
i,ve done this several times and had no problem but it may or may not cost you a phone call.on the front end of your cam you shold find some numbers and or letters.record those and go to your computer and start checking with the different cam companies.their sites are petty informative.if its a gm cam you should be able to call any one of the chevy performance dealerships and check with the parts counter if you can't find it on line.most people at least know what kind of cam it is which gives you a place to start.if its an aftermarket cam try emailing all the companies to see if its anyone's part number first by email and if they don't answer like many co.'s don't you'll have to then start calling.failing all that ,as the big dave said,you'll have to get a degree wheel and a digital caliper and or mirometer.you can get the measuring tools at harbor freight cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.