Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of abuse can these transmissions hold? I can get one for around $800 with a year warranty, but i dont know if it will hold up to possible future mods. Im looking at adding some type of forced induction later and i want manual tranny that will hold up to it, so any input would be great. I've heard of people putting 800hp through them without any issues....just wondering if this is possible or not..... THANKS

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my opinion,it will take a crap load of abuse ,i had one in a camaro and couldn't break it,i think it would take a decent amout of hp's,depending on your clutch setup,this is going to be the weakest link.-Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know exactly what brand the clutch is, but i know its by no means a weak link.... it DOES NOT SLIP!!!! i either have to pull out spinning, or with it clapping the flywheel....

·
Registered
43 Posts
800 is the lowest price I have heard of. Where are they available for that price? I have been thinking about one for my Nova.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was hoping to be able to get one at autozone, where i work, but they are a couple hundred more, i thought i had seen them for that price, but i was wrong....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... how much do these transmisions take? what kind of numbers will they hold?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess not...

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Well the amount of stress any part will take is proportional to the condition of the part. If you have a tranny that has been hammered on for 35 years it is going to be weaker than it was new. The case will stretch, the bore for the countershaft can be a little worn, the springs in the synchros weakened, bearings loose and about to fail. Unless rebuilt properly by someone knowing what to look for and willing to take the time to do it right you may be buying a transmission that has a short life. If you really want to run a Muncie in your car I suggest you buy one from Wally or one of the other reputable dealers in Muncie transmissions. At least you know who your dealing with and the years of experience they have in building these type of transmissions. Or just buy a new Muncie from them. I would not buy a rebuilt transmission from Autozone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which would be stronger, professionally rebuilt, the m22 or the super t10? Im hoping to get something nice soon, kinda waiting for the money to catch up to the ideas. Id rather not spend more than $1500 if i can help it, but its not out of the question to spend more, but it wont be soon. I'm trying to find somthing that will hold up to my engine now, but more importantly later after it has some sort of forced induction on it. I see no reason to buy something that will make due and then replace it again later. so basically im trying to find out what is going to be the strongest? I've looked at the tko-600 but they dont have a very high rating, im hoping to eventually be putting out 700-800hp and i dont want to have to buy another tranny then, id rather be driving something overbuilt for the motor in the mean time....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would a new muncie hold up to 700-800hp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
those G-force transmissions seem nice, but way too high for my price range..... definetly nice though

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you can get a real M-22 for $800.00 do it unless it has a problem. As for strength use an iron case ST-10 with a high nickel gearset if you can find one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Idiotzone sells Muncies?????????????????????

And that's if you can get past the guy behind the counter asking 20 questions about everything irrelevant, such as if it has a/c or not before concluding with "we're sorry but our computers don't show your 1970 Nova 396 SS as ever coming from the factory with a Muncie M22 4 speed.
:clonk:

Are the ST-10 trannies you guys speak of the same as the Richmond 4 speeds that summit sells for $1400?

I think the weakest link in the Muncies is when you do 6k holeshot clutch dumps on a car with a stout rear end, sticky rear tires and the best damn traction you can possibly get.....of course I could be wrong but I'd guess that's when even a Muncie would most likely fail.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of those questions you speak of are strangely enough relevant, not our fault the computer wont let us get the info without them, have patience... lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah you're right.....anytime I order light bulbs for my car it's important they know what size the engine is, how many gears my transmission has....just giving them the year/make/model isn't good enough.....

:sad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol that was the Some part.. ha ha Some of the people get in such a routine of asking everything that they don't realize, I'm sure i've done it myself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts