Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power is to much for an m22 muncie 4spd? I cant seem to get a good answer. I've heard of people running close to 800hp and not breaking the tranny. Does anyone have any idea how much these transmisions will hold???

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is no real answer. You can break one with 400HP in a heavy car that dead hooks or a car that won't hook can have 1000HP and not hurt it.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The case is the weak link. It deflects under load causing the gears to misalign. there are many cases out there with different casting numbers as GM improved it over time.

There are also aftermarket vendors who sell new super duty cases that are built up to withstand gobs of torque, but even they do not say that they are unbreakable. You can also order the Muncie with OD gears and virtually any gear set you want (for a nominal fee of course).

The Tremec trannys were designed to handle the increased torque of modern engines (but not all Tremec's will do so).

Big Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Big Dave, im looking at eventually an 800hp car, weighing in about 2000 pounds, and it should hook really good, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That's ambitious for a street car. 2000 lbs is lighter than you think it is. I had an 83 Olds Cutlass that had everything imaginable ripped out for weight, including the side impact beams in the doors and front sway bar. The car weighed 2600 lbs when I was done. I think you'll need the better part of that car to be fiberglass to achieve 2000 lbs. Another thing to consider, NHRA mandates that a car has to wiegh a "X" amount to be "X" fast. (not sure what the numbers actually are) Fiberglass also doesn't hold up well on the street. Pot holes and uneven roads will flex the 'glass and make it crack over time. Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have another project this is going in, its a 39 chevy pickup, going to chop the cab, build a custom frame, and see how much of a deathtrap i can make, no fenders, no hood, very very very small non functional bed, nothing but what makes it go fast, turn and stop.... 2000 is acheivable for it, and im not looking to take it to the track, I just want something that i can hammer on, with a REALLY BIG HAMMER and not break

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
800 horsepower, 2000 lb vehicle with a manual trans is just insane. I had a V8 Vega with a Muncie way back when auto trans technology was poor. The car was uncontrollable under full power shifts. I was warned at the track if I broke any of the lights for the timers I would have to pay for them, it was that squirlley. I am a 3 pedal guy and prefer all my hot rods are manual trans, but if you are going to build that truck consider an auto trans just for the safety aspects. The only exception I would consider would be a Lenco set up, but that is a horse of a different color (mostly lots of green ;) )

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well, that's differant. A stick would definately be cool to row around. You will definately break it. I would normaly say if you can keep your foot out of it, you'd be ok. BUT,.... I think we all know better then that.:clonk:If it really is that light, my first choice would be a 'glide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its not going to go to the track often, I dont mind getting a bit sideways when i shift either, I'm really thinking about getting a muncie m22 and a quick change rear end for it, its going to have some rather wide tires out back, it should be fairly well mannered if i want it to be, but i want something that is too much for anyone but me...

·
Registered
17 Posts
800hp and a 2000 pound vehicle will be very far into the 8's if you can get any traction. Traction will not be beasy, especially in a little chevy pickup truck. I suggest you make the wheelie bars and front end limiters now, because if you get any form of traction it's going on the roof... IMO, a Muncie is not the correct trans for the car....It won't hold up....Go for a street Lenco...they're MUCH cooler, they'll get WAY more attention, and nothing is more fun then pulling those levers. Plus, they're good for about 1200hp.

Joe

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
You didn't mention if you intended to run a GMC blower along with a gear drive. Both the blower, the gear drive cam drive system, the M22, and a quick-change rear end all have straight cut teeth to keep the gears from moving as they would with a bevel or hypoid cut gear. If you like noise, you could buy the old style meat grinder siren used on mid sixties police cars to get people to move to the side of the road because a M22 with a quick change will sound like that while driving down the road. :hurray:

GM sold the license they had on Muncie transmissions with all of the tooling (dies patterns and molds this month to Kiesler (a company famous for building mechanicl fuel injection systems similar to those of Hilborn, or Crower). This company now owns the licensing to the A833 Mopar (a Muncie clone used in all of Mopar's 440 RB powered cars and Street Hems from the muscle care era), Liberty Gear (the folks who first offered alternative gear sets for the Muncie), the Ford Top loader (used by many seventies racers because the cast iron case didn't flex like the aluminum Muncie did), and the Tremac T-56 transmission line. They are promising to reintroduce an aftermarket version of the Muncie four speed transmissions with your choice of gear sets, with stronger cases and better bearings designed for today's power levels (no word on price, but I suspect list price will be inflated from late sixty's list price). They also own an overdrive option (similar to Gear Vendors) that bolts to the rear of the Muncie yielding a five speed.

Big Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont mind the noise, cant get a ticket for that either... unlike the exhaust on my nova.... It will probaby be a long time before i actually get the engine to the 800hp mark, and yes that will be forced induction, but probably a twin turbo setup, maybe a supercharger, although i may have to look into that noisy blower... ha ha, no sirens for me, ive had enough of those behind me.... I have looked at the "remodeled" mucies, not too shabby, or cheap. I may not ever take it past 500hp, who knows. I do know i want the quick change rear, I'll probably end up with some overdrive tranny (everything ive looked into is around the $2000 range) so i can have a ridiculous rear gear set and still drive on the highway. and about those wheelie bars and front end limiters, the leaf springs on the front will limit the travel and the wheelies will have to be stopped by the gas tank on the back.... or I'll just let out of the pedal.....maybe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.