Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo! First post in the shiny new Engine forum! :D Okay, to make it legit, I do have a question. Does long term storage of an engine have negative effects on valvespring tension, if the valves are lashed? I'm talking in terms of 4 or 5 years or more. Just curious, as I'm making a list of concerns when I do finally get my 468 prepped for starting in the El Camino.

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always loosen the lash on ours before the cars hibernate for the winter, and I know several others who do the same...but, I read something a couple weeks ago that said that with current valve spring materials and technology that it's not necessary...but I look at it as cheap/easy insurance. For 4 or 5 years, I'd be worried more about rust and such in the internals than my valve spring pressure...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob, I'm going to be tearing it back down for a quick go-through before I attempt to start it anyway. Just want to make a parts list of possible replacement items.

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cool...did you put the thing together? If not, it *might* be a good idea to go ahead and replace them...that way you know exactly how long they've been on the engine. Would be a bad deal to use the old ones and get the thing running then hurt it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my L78 Nova 5 years ago..Previous owner had installed new stock cam and lifters prior to my purchase. I've put only 5000 miles since then. Last month engine developed a bad miss. Cause was a broken exhaust valve spring. I was extremely lucky the valve didn't dropped into cylinder of my NUMBERS MATCHING engine. Replaced all 16 immediately. In hindsight I should have done this when I purchased the vehicle. Who knows how long these spring have been in this engine!

Martin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and pull the engine and tear it back down. Change a few things, check a few things, etc. Wouldn't make any sense to try to save a couple bucks, and waste a few grand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts