Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have experience with Holley support? I have called them for 3 days straight right when they open and left messages for them to call me back and I have heard nothing. This is after spending over 2 hours on hold trying to talk to someone there.

Is this a lost cause? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a secret unpublished phone number?

I am really surprised at their lack of support!

I called them a couple of months back and wanted information on EFI systems. I told the guy I was building a drag car and wanted to know more about what they offer. He asked me a bunch of questions about the build, some of the answers I didn't know because I am just starting, thus looking for info. He told me, "You are giving me a lot of I'm not sure's and I don't knows. When you actually know what you are going to do you should call us back."

Kind of ticked me off!

So now I am wanting to call and ask them, "What is it that you need to know before you can help me. Or can we talk in more general terms like all of the other EFI companies I have talked to?".

Is that really too much to ask?

Anyway, have you had any luck with Holley support?

Thank you,
Doug

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Everywhere you turn today, support sucks and it is very rare to find a living, breathing human and not a button with a recording. If you do find one human that helps, you tend to add that person to your super secret list of contacts. I found the support team at AFR to be very helpful and especially the CEO :hurray:to be one of those super secret additions to my contact list just as one example:beers:. NO ONE:mad::noway: at Holly is on my list, sorry:(.....Might just be that someone here has a super secret extension for Holly support :confused:but I doubt it:sad:......Jack

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
I've never had to use their support so I can't comment, but yes support in general these days does suck...:yes::sad:

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
I have never been able to get an answer to a very in depth technical question (more of an engineering design question than what size jet to run), but luckily for me there were two Holley guru's that at the time knew more about carb tuning than I did (a winning national competitor in NHRA gas class Bo Laws in Orlando, and a local electrical company lineman named Barry Grant) who were willing to offer their opinions. I don't know if my technical questions pushed Barry Grant over the edge between modifying Holley carburetors and actually making his own carburetors, if so I apologize: as it cost him dearly in the end.

From another expert in EFI that I occasionally consult with has stated more than once that the Holley EFI system is basically just a rebranded stock Chrysler computer and injector system and without a better (say a F.A.S.T. controller) it won't work very well for a dedicated drag car or on a high horse motor.

There are a lot more sophisticated controller and sensor packages as well as heavy duty (higher duty cycle) injectors to be found than on a Holley, MSD or an Edelbrock EFI conversion kit.

If I were to ever build my BDS 14-71 Potvin drive blown 540 it would be with a FAST system controlling the port injectors down stream of my intercooled air supply.

In general if you want to know what works ignore the car mag write ups initially and just look to see what winners who have a car built like you want yours to be built (pick an IRHA, or NHRA class). Emulate their parts list but look to the car mags to see what is replacing their old system with newer technology from the same company. At the price of this stuff you don't want last months computer, running the oldest operating system.

Big Dave

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
There is a reason why support sucks now a days. Two simple reasons, "Liability" because there are too many self serving sue happy liberals in the world who have nothing better to do that sue anyone and everyone because something somebody said something they didn't like, or if they said Part A is better than Part B and Part A doesn't work for their application, they are more than happy to sue someone, and the most likely they just don't know. Just go to your local auto parts store and you can bet the sales people behind the counter can barely find the part on the shelf much less give you accurate advice. They are there to sell you the cheapest or the most expensive parts on the shelf. They could care less if it actually fits your vehicle or if one part is better than others but mostly the vehicles they drive, once they insert the key or FOB magic happens and they drive home.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Very true Brian! My other observation is getting any level of phone support today is remarkable in the day of click and ship internet shopping.

Any one employed at Holley; or Summit and Jeg's for that matter, on the other end of the phone is just a facilitator; hired at minimum wage, to make it easy for you to get the money out of your wallet and into the till by being basically "Yes Men". They haven heard any customer suggestion that results in a parts being order that wasn't the best combo on the planet.

When I was younger you could actually talk to an engineer if you had a really serious technical question (such as drilling your metering block in an age before replaceable brass air bleed jets). Today ask the sales rep about jetting of your carb and he will try and sell you a package of twenty assorted main jets, or a spring selection for a vacuum secondary. If you really want to know what the original jet size was in your flea market carb you just bought he is of no help: but his computer has the information you need, though he is totally unaware how to access it. It is found or accessed by the carburetor list number that also includes power valve rating as well.as any other parts to make that carb new again.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
"Liability" because there are too many self serving sue happy liberals in the world who have nothing better to do that sue anyone and everyone because something somebody said something they didn't like,.
What, WHAT, WHAT? There is no such thing Brian as the blanket statement in the above quote so I am going to sue the S%#T out of you over the above for slander.....lol Jack

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
What, WHAT, WHAT? There is no such thing Brian as the blanket statement in the above quote so I am going to sue the S%#T out of you over the above for slander.....lol Jack
Go ahead, I aint got nuttin worth suing for :noway:l:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts