Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! as you know i'm new here. :hurray:

but to skip all that boring stuff, I have tech questions.

Situation: i am a newbie at restoring cars, but i have a friend that said he would help me ( he has 3 firebirds & i help him on weekends)I finally found the nova of my dreams for sale. a 67 nova hardtop 6 cyl. original teal blue color.

it was for sale at 6,500. i got the guy down to 6k. he says that he has all the parts! but they are all out of the car ( no problem ) it has some rust spots one looks serious (back window) but the rest look ok.

Question: is this a good price?

Question: my question is what should i be looking for in the car? that would be a deal breaker? i read up about the whole front end situations.
anything else i should be looking for?

thank you !

G

·
if you can, get a list of all the parts that come with the car. what brakes are on it, stock suspension... what's paint, interior and body look like ? get LOTS of pictures. post 'em up and let's take a look...

RUST is the biggest killer on a price. depending on location and quantity can make or break a car's price.

get lots of pics, might be worth the 6K, maybe not.

do not ever buy a car when it's with emotions... you have to be objective. if you look at it make sure you take a friend to play "Devil's Advocate" you can look right at something bad and not want to see it, you bring your friend to help evaluate/price/inspect the car ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Jesus!

The last 1967 I bought I paid a little over two thousand for it, but it was totaly rust free and it could have won a white glove concours competition easily: but then again I had just bought it brand new. That was my only second generation Nova but I haven't played with one since then so I am out of date on answering your questions.

Big Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok in parts he did not specify, what he did say was that he has all the parts for it, all i have to do is put it back together, also the seller said that he took out the engine cleaned it and it was ready to go back into the car along with the factory powerglide automatic trans. i asked him why is he selling it , and he said he is sick, he cannot work on cars anymore.Also the car was not running for 4-5 years.

thank you guys!:D

:yes:

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
It looks like he braised the patch panels on that car which is not the recommended technique to repair sheet metal as it compromises the structural strength of the car(either that or he glued them on with epoxy which won't work either). There are several places where the rust is really bad, and your A-pillar is one of them as I believe you will have to buy another car to get the donor pieces to weld in rust free parts (based upon the assumption that they do not make a repo cowl and a-pillar).

Like I say I only build hot rods not restore cars; so I am the wrong person to be responding to your needs.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This car has good points and REALLY BAD points. The stuff that's usually bad isn't, and the stuff that's usually good isn't. The floors appear to be solid, so does the front clip. How does the trunk floor look? The quarters are shot. The door skins are shot at the bottom, The A-pillar is a no-go. (no pun intended) All the stuff he brazed in will have to get cut back out and new metal welded in. That was a good fix in the '70's, but we've come a long way since then. Brazing gives a great place for rust to start up again. Now look again at the pictures and look at how much metal work this thing needs. ...it's quite a bit to make it right.

Now having said all that. $6K is way high if you ask me. More like $4K would be fair. I also don't believe people when they say, "I have all of the parts." Go there, lay everything out on the ground and actually inventory everything with your own eyes. A lot of times you get a few boxes and don't realize until months later you're missing a few key pieces that will cost money to replace.

The market is really bad right now. $6K should buy an assembled car no problem. Not perfect, but closer to a driver than this car. In my shop you're looking at 40 hours to get that car ready for paint, MINIMUM. Non of the repair work is very serious, there's just a whole lot of it to be done.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh man i didn't think the rust spots were that serious.

I will go tomorrow and see it in person with my friend. I'll take 4500 in one pocket..

but I really appreciate your help guys, thank you! :thumbsup:

*puts on game face*

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
G

·
i wouldn't give him 4K for it... too much rust, 6 cylinder non SS car... nuthin' special. all stock brakes & suspension...

sorry, i'd offer maybe $2,500.00 but that's a lot of money too for a rust bucket.

and yeah, i said rust bucket. i guarantee ya there's a lot more damage than is seen in the pics, some may not have popped through the paint but it's gonna be worse than what ya see...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome, Jesus--:D

That's a pretty car, but nothing is as expensive as body work... Look it over very carefully to see if other spots are about to pop out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Found a Few in your area which ---Look--- Like their in better shape

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/1763270572.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1763237675.html

The thing that would bug me about that one bob's selling is that theres a good chance its got a lot hidden under the paint... and at 6500 looks like its another 10+/- out from being ready..

or.. join the darkside... 3rd genners... we have cookies. ;)
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1754466793.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1761824559.html

:hurray:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey guys thanks for all your feedback! i really appreciated.

but i have awesome news, i got the car for a fair price within my budget!!:hurray: its a cherry car, we checked it for at least 2 hours, all parts were there. the pictures dont do it justice.. just alot of elbow grease and determination left to put in it.
...feels like christmas!!!

im looking forward to posting progress pictures and working on the car!
today is my first night at my friends house! :beers:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Uh, oh. Well, good luck with it. If you don't mind me / us asking, what did you get it for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well yea im going to need the good luck! the car has all the really bad rust on 2 quarter panels and the a pillar like you guys said:(. this saturday im going to sand it down and really see all the rust it has. hopefully it wont be any more really bad spots. and i rather keep the price undisclosed, but i got a sweet deal with original motor and all parts :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
No sweat. I understand. Keep us up to date with the project. Just remember. It's only metal. It can always be cut out and replaced, no matter the damage. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts