Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered many times, but i'm new to this site and this is my first nova. So forgive my ignorance. I am 20 years old and recently bought a 66 chevy II. The previous owner did a full restoration, but left everything stock except motor (small block 355) and wheels and tires. So my plan for the car is to set it up like a pro touring car. I want it to handle and preform like a new car. This car will 95% of the time be driven on the street. I have never tried autocross or anything like that but i would like to get into it a little bit. So my question to you is, what company would you recommend getting a front subframe? I want it to be a bolt on kit. Also, if something were to break, i want to be able to go to a local parts store and get what i need. I dont want to be tied to the company for their "special parts". A few companies i have looked at are detroit speed, heidt, and TCI. My last question is, what is the best setup for the rear end? I am assuming a 4 link? and what company would be best? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at this point im leaning towards a complete new front clip. i like the idea of getting rid of the shock towers to give the engine bay a more open and clean look. it also seems you would get the best handling out of a new clip as opposed to just replacing the components CBR offers. am i wrong in thinking this?

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Yes you are. Check out this . A member here, 62NovaWagon, removed all of his "other brand" parts and installed the CBR parts. He lost a bunch of money but was happy with the results. Shifty4 from this site would also change his clip for the CBR set up. You will be hard pressed to find someone using it that doesn't like it.

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Welcome to the Team Shawn!

I am amazed at the power that Peterson's publishings former empire had to mold public opinion. They have created more automotive fads than they have reported on them by leading with articles first on Pro Touring, to Low Riders, to G-Machines, to today's interest in auto crossing (their label is canyon carvers).

They haven't created any of these trends (I used to auto cross back when I was in college in the early sixties getting my first degree, and at the time I owned any number of Pro-touring cars only we called them street racers back then, while at the same time I think half of southern California's Latino male population was cruising the streets with half of the coils cut out of the springs of their Chebies, or hanging the leaf springs up side down on their Fords.

I haven't seen a lot that is new in terms of automotive trends other than the ricer crowd hopping up wrong wheel drive imports (Hot Rodding isn't new, as kids always raced what they had). It was the chrome bling, and LED or glowing florescent neon lights under cars cars that was something new: along with a stereo you can hear in the next county, or a built in home entertainment center. I grew up with lead and steel sculpture called Custom Cars where you made your car unique threw inspiration and a lot of body work.

Speaking of auto crossing I used to drive down to Sebring to watch the races when anyone could get in the pits, and you could park right along side the course to see the race. I drove my Chevy II 194 six with a four speed Muncie down there a number of times. I used to embarrass a lot of of Camaros and Mustangs while auto crossing or just playing around on the course after the race when it was opened up to the public before they turned it back into an air port in the morning. The Chevy II is fun to drive but it has a rubbery suspension that suffers terminal under steer when powered by a six cylinder.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Dave I know the owner of that red 63, he is also a member here. I have seen the car in person and can vouch first hand that what was written is not hype. I also got to see the a sweet 62 LS powered wagon with CBR components when in CA. It will be in an upcoming Super Chevy magazine but I can not divulge any details of the testing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so now i guess i have to decide whether i want a full front clip or if i want to replace components like a CBR setup. i have read so many articles that make very good arguments for both choices. decisions decisions decisions....

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Dave I know the owner of that red 63, he is also a member here. I have seen the car in person and can vouch first hand that what was written is not hype. I also got to see the a sweet 62 LS powered wagon with CBR components when in CA. It will be in an upcoming Super Chevy magazine but I can not divulge any details of the testing.
Sorry I wasn't casting dispersions on his build. I was commenting on the revitalization of auto crossing as being popular again (fashionable). I can remember being a member of both the NHRA and USCA at the same time. (I thought that road racing particularly TransAm and CanAm racing was the most fun you could have with your clothes on and followed it all closely).

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
Sorry I wasn't casting dispersions on his build. I was commenting on the revitalization of auto crossing as being popular again (fashionable). I can remember being a member of both the NHRA and USCA at the same time. (I thought that road racing particularly TransAm and CanAm racing was the most fun you could have with your clothes on and followed it all closely).

Big Dave
My apologies Dave.
so now i guess i have to decide whether i want a full front clip or if i want to replace components like a CBR setup. i have read so many articles that make very good arguments for both choices. decisions decisions decisions....
Make your decisions by talking to those that have the type of front clip you are thinking of. Articles can be skewed towards the parts supplier, but first hand experience from owners will be more truthful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya thats very true. being that i am only 20 years old and dont have exactly the highest paying job, money is a factor. it seems that if i were to go with CBR components, i could upgrade a little at a time when i have the money and not tie up the car for a week or more doing installation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would also like to be able to fit some bigger wheels and tires under my car. i dont know if this is correct or not but i think i read that the front clip kits are more narrow than stock subframe to allow for wider wheel and tire combo. is that correct? and does the CBR setup allow for this?

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
it seems that if i were to go with CBR components, i could upgrade a little at a time when i have the money and not tie up the car for a week or more doing installation.
that is another one of the benefits of the CBR set up. It wasn't an accident, it was planned to be able to do it that way.

·
Administrator
9,471 Posts
i would also like to be able to fit some bigger wheels and tires under my car. i dont know if this is correct or not but i think i read that the front clip kits are more narrow than stock subframe to allow for wider wheel and tire combo. is that correct? and does the CBR setup allow for this?
Some of the brake packages with the clips actually set the wheels out farther than stock. Tire size is going to be limited by the fenders more than the front end components.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats good. well the CBR setup is looking better and better for what im trying to do. and it seems to have very nice performance. now the only other question i guess that i have is, what about tying the frame together front to back. i know if i got a front clip and 4 link system form detroit spee, heidt, etc. it would tie the frame together. is this necessary?

G

·
brakes can be addressed later as budget allows. the CBR suspension package can be used with drum or disc brakes. :yes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to the site Shawn. You have a decision in front of you that many have looked at as well. As Phillip has stated, talking to individuals with either set up will be your best type of research.

You speak of being on a budget, you car has also been restored. If that is the case you would be extremely satisfied with removing your flimsy lower control arm set up and installing out Tubular lower control arms.

With your steering in descent condition the Church Boys Tubular Lower control arms will allow you to make turns with accuracy and confidence. You will also be able to BOLT on our Tubular Upper control arms, when money allows. These will greatly improve your camber curve which allows your tires to stay planted to the road as your car leans hard in the turns. When you hear of other big companies talk about the "pro touring" front clips what they are referring to is the ability to have a better camber curve. This is exactly what our BOLT on upper arms do! Again you will be amazed at how these improve the response and handling of your car while still using the stock steering and sub frame.

Once it is all done and said and again money allows you can upgrade to the Church Boys Racing (CBR) rack and pinion conversion but, in the mean time you have been driving and enjoying your upgraded stock suspension.

Once you decide to go with the CBR rack and pinion conversion you will need to upgrade to disk brakes. This does not have to brake the bank either. We make a bracket that will allow you to walk in any part store and purchase 98-02 camaro 12" factory disc brakes. You will need to turn your drum hub down so that the rotor will slip over it for a nice fit and then you will be required to run 17" rims. This kit has been assembled.....front, rear, master cylinder and power booster for around 800.00. That is 4 wheel disc brakes. If you are only doing the fronts you would save even more. That is a very reasonable price for the excellent performance that this system provides.

Keep an eye open this November and December....Super Chevy and Chevy High performance will be doing feature articles on 2 different CBR equipped Novas. Very impressive results!

·
Registered
116 Posts
thats good. well the CBR setup is looking better and better for what im trying to do. and it seems to have very nice performance. now the only other question i guess that i have is, what about tying the frame together front to back. i know if i got a front clip and 4 link system form detroit spee, heidt, etc. it would tie the frame together. is this necessary?
All of these kit would require the use of frame tie connectors. These can be purchased or made either way all systems will benefit from the use of them. Something that we will be working on in the near future.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.