Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Nova dudes!

I bought my 73 off ebay for $500 and plan to make a race car (drag 1/4mile). The guy who I bought it from or one of the previous owners did some crappy body work to the 1/4 panels. They also rivited sheetmetal for the front floorboards, part of the trunk and the rear floorboards. I really want to save this car and alot of people look at the body and floor pans and say to shred it, NO WAY!
1-For the 1/4 panels should I buy the full skin panels?
2-For the floor pans, should I buy the whole LH and RH sections, or just the front and rear sections?
3-And the trunk is rusted on the drivers side, should I replace the whole thing or just the side that is rusted?

Here are a few pics for now.

Floor pans, The fronts, part of the trunk, and rears are like this.

^this side is just the lip for the wheel-wells. It is about 6" out.

This side is the worst. I'm thinking full 1/4 panel skin.

I did the 1/4's on my Chevelle and I do have a good MIG welder, so I know I can tackle this project.
Thanks for any input!,
wes

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would buy the full Qtrs and you can patch the floor as needed or use the pre-stamped pans.

Don't scrap it. Be patient, project cars are getting harder to find.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree on the full qtrs, but think I'd do the full halves on the floor pans. Be careful what you cut in the trunk area as you will need to reuse the braces that go under the trunk floor.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Is the year you want to race important? I know where to get a rust free 76 or 77 hatchback for cheap. The passenger door is dented and the fenders have minor dings. No suspension or interior. It may be cheaper to build than the one you have. There is also a 75 in town selling for $150 and another one complete and running for $500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well whatever you decide to do go to CPU Muscle Car parts, they are quite cheap and they have the American Legion Steel.Shipping is cheap. Also you may be able to get away with less than the 80%, but i would say at most get the 80%.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres the update...

I have decided to restore this car, but in a race car way. I will not cut up anything as far as sheetmetal or the body, and redo the floor pans as restamped metal ones. That way in case if I or next owner wants to go from a race car back to factory, it will easily be done. I am also going with f/g hood, bumpers and fenders.
I am in the process of making the new floor pans fit right now. And also I found out that the rear part of the passenger side floor pan was 1/4 inch steel that the previous dumba$$ owner did ! :rolleyes: That slab weight 56lbs when I took it out. lol!

thanks for all of your help guys!
-wes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.