Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the wire running to the primary side of the coil in a points system must be replaced for a full 12V of electricity to reach the new HEI distributor, due to the fact that it is a solid strand wire that creates resistance (8V +/-).

But I am wondering if you must replace the wire running from the ignition switch to the wiring harness on the dash panel side, as well as the wire running to the coil "+" lug from the engine side of the harness; or just the engine side of the wire?

1973 Nova - 350 2BBL - Automatic 3 Speed Turbomatic - 4 Door - STOCK

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have a question.... im wiring a carbed 305 in a 88 firebird. How will wiring from ignition to hei distributor to starter go
'88 Firebird would have come with HEI as original equipment. Use the stock wiring, changing only the connectors on the existing wires to suit the distributor/ignition coil as needed. (And adding wire length as needed--but I don't think you'll need to.)

Any switched full 12 volt supply will work, must have full 12 volts to the distributor.
Sort of.

I object to the term "full 12 volts" because HEI is supposed to receive SYSTEM VOLTAGE which can be 14+ volts when the alternator is charging.

In addition, there's also current (amperage) to consider, not just voltage. The OEM wire harness uses 10- or 12-gauge conductor for the HEI system; the HEI has low average current draw, but high instantaneous draw. (It draws current in pulses.) Therefore, don't use a smaller conductor than what GM used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts