Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone running their heater with fenderwell headers? I've read some articles on bending the heater core tubes that come through the firewall, but has anyone actually done it? if so, how hard was it? I have a heidts front clip, and would also be interested in seeing how others support their heater hoses with a similar clip....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have fenderwells and do not have the heater core hooked up. I'm sure once you had everything out of the way, modifying the core and routing the lines would not be impossible. Your car is nice and your skills are certianly there, I'm sure you can dream something up. I am just not that ambitious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you could always cut the lines and weld/solder them on an angle....if you try and bend them you may kind the crap out of them and ruin them...maybe some heat on em and go slow you could get some bend into em

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philip said:
Really nice work you have done. I looked at tyour photos and the hoses are in a bit of a bad place for the header routing. If you heat them go real easy. The brass will transfer the heat to the core and could melt some solder and cause leaks.
thanks
I've heard of others using a camaro heater core and modifieing it....i dunno. I may just continue without. it dont get that cold in texas..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tony, you are good at fabricating, right? Why don't you look at fabbing some steel tubing that will be hidden under the headers? Then you can do a flex connection to the heater fittings on the engine, and a flex connection at the heater core. Bending the tubes coming out of the heater core will be difficult because they will try to flatten. It would be better if you could find some brass elbows that are bent to the desired angle, then cut off the ends of the core tubes, and solder on the new fittings. I think with some imagination, you can come up with a good solution that will look good too!!:thumbsup:

Randy (what do you consider cold??? Under 80??):D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ya as Randy said I would think you would risk kinking/flattening the tubes if you try to bend them...If you could figure out what you want I bet a rad shop would be able to modify/replace the current tubes with ones that would be better with your setup...PLUS they can test the core afterwards to make sure they didnt create any leaks while modifying it...Just my 2 cents.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts