Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have ordered a 383, 500hp all forged internals 10:1 that I am supercharging. Going to end up around 800hp, hopefully.
In talking to a Procharger dealer he said I need to run 2"-2 1/8" primarys on my headers.
I have looked all over and have not had any luck finding them.
* Does anybody know of anybody who makes them?
* Does that sound like the size I need?
* Will they fit around my steering box?
Thanks,
Doug

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Yes Doug his name is Dan Lemon and he builds custom headers (naturally like every one else in the aftermarket he is located in CA). Because they are custom built to fit your car as it is currently built right now; then yes it will fit around your steering box. The fact that you still have a steering box is a bad sign; as that implies you are still using the rubber band and bailing wire stock front end that was not designed to work with an 800 horsepower motor.

You are in the minority as far as that goes as most have by this time swapped over to an aftermarket front end that relies upon a Mustang II knock off front end on two frame rails that bolt on complete with a steering rack to make room for a big block or any other high horse motor.

As to primary tube size yes bigger tubes are required when you pump up the horsepower as the hot exhaust gasses have to be able to leave the engine even faster than they get in with the help of a blower.

While you are changing things I would like to point out that a stock cast iron SBC can not handle 800 horsepower. If you are going to use a belt driven blower Roots or Procharger you should consider a chrome-moly forged steel crank with a BBC snout as the snout will be flexing a lot due to the strain of the blower and cast iron doesn't like that.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Sorry I thought we were talking a '67 Chevy II. You are correct no aftermarket front end this side of a Chris Alston or the other chassis builders tubular frame that uses tubular arms and coil over shocks along with a rack and pinion steering. Though those frame choices are more for show than go as the stock frame works just fine as is.

I don't know if Hooker still sells a set of 2-1/8 inch primary tube competition headers with adapter plates out of a box. Since they have changed hands twice since I bought my last set of off the shelf headers.

Big Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
2 or 2 1/8" primaries are huge for a sbc. On a 23 degree head, your exhaust ports are not going to be anywhere near that big. IF you do need that big of a header, you'll have to run a adaptor plate between the head and the header and go with like stahl patern. The stock bolt holes for the center cylinders won't support that big of a header.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A 1997 paper Hooker catalog shows three different headers for the 68 - 74 Chev II/ Nova / Apollo / Omega / Ventura II. with 262 - 400 ci small block chevy engine.

1. #2130 1 5/8" primaries
2. #2131 1 3/4" primaries
3. #2207 1 7/8" primaries

These are all Super Competition series.

All are stated as fitting power steering. All are stated as fitting with angled plug heads. None of these headers are stated as fitting cars with factory air conditioning - R6 compressor on drivers' side.

Competition series only shows one "universal fit" type - #2451 which is 1 5/8" primary tube size. states it fits 68 - 79.

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Look for headers to fit a Camaro as they were made in that size tube once for a SBC and a first generation Camaro. My buddies first car that was bought new back as a high scho0l graduation gift in 1968 and drag raced from day one has 2-1/8th primary tubes on it.

Of course at one time Hooker also sold 2 inch primary tube headers for a BBC in a 1967-'69 Camaro that allowed you to use the SBC frame stands (no offset) calling them transplant headers that they no longer sell as Hooker has changed hands three times since then (loosing header selection every time a new owner went through the catalog).

Big Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts