Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Half Moon" Emergency Flasher Knob research

Hi folks. Wondering if you could help.

Some of us Corvette, Camaro and Corvair folks are doing research on the "Half Moon" Emergency Flasher knob shown in some of the various 1967 and 1968 AIM's (see the example below - #12 - taken from the 1967 Corvette AIM).

So far what we've discovered is that this knob "probably" never existed, but we would like to get additional feedback from the Nova, Chevelle and Full Sized members to see if anyone else has any input on this.

A little history...

The "built-in" 4 Way Emergency Flasher system became standard equipment on all Chevrolet cars (and I believe trucks as well) in 1967. At that time, Chevrolet used a Chrome knob (commonly referred to as the "LONG" knob) with the word "Flasher" engraved on the stem. Sometime late in the 1967 model year (around March or April, 1967), Chevrolet replaced the Long knob with the "SHORT" knob. This one had the "Flasher" engraved on the end of the knob.

What the research folks are looking for are threefold:

1. Has anyone ever seen this "Half-Moon" knob on ANY GM car or truck before.

2. If you have a 1967 car (or truck), does it have the Long knob on it, or the Short knob (we also need the build date of the car).

3. What does the 1967 and 1968 Nova AIM show for the knob (and the part number).

If you currently have a 1967 Nova (or any other 1967 GM car or truck) with the Long knob, we would like to hear from you. Also, if someone out there could scan in the AIM drawing of the steering column (UPC 12) showing the Flasher Knob for the 1967 and the 1968 Nova, we'd apprecite it.

You can contact either myself, or Kent Sullivan if you have further information on this.

Thanks in advace guys (and girls too!!)

Ed Bertrand ([email protected])
Kent Sullivan ([email protected])

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Re: "Half Moon" Emergency Flasher Knob research

Ed I have never seen that type of knob. I have been involved with all types of GM cars from back in the 50's thru present day, even worked at a dealership from late 68 - late 70. I have had cars with the short chrome knob and had a few extra knobs but have sold them all to guys that needed them to be all original.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: "Half Moon" Emergency Flasher Knob research

Thanks Phil.

John Hinckley (JohnZ) of the Camaro Research Group (and an NCRS judge) states that the factories used the long knob exclusively through the third week of December (1966), the long and short knob randomly through the end of March (1967), and the short knob exclusively from April through July (the end of 1967 production).

Like you, he too has stated that he's also never seen the "Half-Moon" knob on ANY Chevrolet product so it appears that this was just an "artist rendition"!

Thanks again...

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts