Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two separate issues but figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, or in this case one post. First off I'm looking for the front and back bench seats for a gen 4 as close to St Louis as possible.

Second, my gen light keeps randomly coming on and going off. I have a new battery as well as a new belt. Is the alternator something that slowly goes out? I was under the impression that once it was bad that was it. Or is there yet a different reason it could be coming on?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Your alt can intermittently work and then slowly drop voltage to the battery. If you verify that the wires are in good working order I would suspect the alternator. If you have a volt meter, you can test the alternator while the car is running to see if the alt. is actually charging the battery. If not, you can remove the alt. from the car as most auto parts stores will test it for free, hoping to get your business by buying a new one.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Raven!

Can not help on seats.

But as Brian said above the alternator uses three diodes (three because the alternator out puts three phase AC power.) The diodes rectify the AC to DC but they like any transistor are very easily damaged by over voltage or reversed polarity. You could have lost a few diodes and your alternator is now only out putting more voltage to charge the battery at higher RPM than it used to. These blown diodes put additional strain on the surviving ones causing them to overheat and die eventually. So most likely you need a rebuilt alternator.

Big Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts