Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum ,just got my first Nova. It's a 1969 which I plan to restore. When I got it home I noticed there was a gas leak. It is coming from a tiny hole at the bottom of tank. I plan to drive it until winter, and the gas tank is in otherwise good condition. Is there any way to repair this until I start my restoration?

Thank You :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
well lets start with the "old school" trick that was tought to me by a mechanic with 30 years experience,he always told me if ever in a bind with a leaky gas tank,get a bar of soap,preferably the cheap stuff,rub the soap on the hole on the bottom of the tank and let it dry,he claims it will get rock hard and seal up the hole,try that. also i've patched a few tanks with "JB" weld and that also worked well,give em a try. Dan-
70novadisease

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
There is another product called Seal All. It comes in a yellow tube and is clear. All of these tips are for a temporary, usually an emergency repair. It would be best to replace the tank or drain it and park the car. If the hole was not punched or drilled it is probably rusting from the inside out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i will agree with phillip on that,they are temporary fix's,and the problem should be adressed.but if willing to chance it,no warranty implied with these tips! lol- Dan 70novadisease

·
Registered
7 Posts
Auto parts places sell a two part epoxy like "playdough",that you kneed to together and stick it on the hole. It has to be clean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to thank everybody for the help on gas tank repair. I did decide though to just buy a new one for a more perminent fix, anybody know of any place that may have any at a reasonable price?

thanks

afarrance64:waving:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts