Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 Nova and my gas gauge recently quit working. The gauge stays all the way to the left and does not move. I got under the dash and it appears to be hooked up. Any help appreciated. RichF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a lot of information and diagrams over at Chevelle tech. I think I have all I need to figure it out. RichF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet. Everthing under the dash looks right. It will be a while till I get to look around the gas tank. RichF
P.S. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of activity on this site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To help get you started, it sounds like there is a short to ground somewhere along the tan wire from the gauge to the sender. If you disconnect the connector in the rear of the trunk, that will isolate the sender from the rest of the system. If the needle moves to full, then the short is from that connector to the sender. If it stays on empty, then the short is from the same connector up to the gauge.

Let us know what you find.

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll check that. It is going to be a while till I get time to get under the as tank. work schedule is not leaving much time for my hobby. RichF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 69-er. I disconnected the wires in the trunk and the needle stays all the way to the left . Guess it is from there forward. RichF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This week end I tried again to find the problem. I am assuming it is the gauge is bad. I bought a VDO fuel gauge and it is working. Will just mount it under the dash. This will work until I get time to remove dash and replace the original gauge. Only $25 for VDO replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts