Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Im new here. I have a 73 Hatchback, Im replacing the fuel system.

I installed the new tank and there is a line for the vent. It ran to the canister ( which is gone ) so it basically ran to the firewall and vented there I guess.

I purchased a new pre bent vent line but I would prefer not to run it and vent the tank some other way.

looking for any ideas or do's and don't's , can I use a vented gas cap ?

does the vent height need to higher than the filler neck ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

Im new here. I have a 73 Hatchback, Im replacing the fuel system.

I installed the new tank and there is a line for the vent. It ran to the canister ( which is gone ) so it basically ran to the firewall and vented there I guess.

I purchased a new pre bent vent line but I would prefer not to run it and vent the tank some other way.

looking for any ideas or do's and don't's , can I use a vented gas cap ?

does the vent height need to higher than the filler neck ?

Thanks in advance
It should be higher than the tank/filler, I just went up above the rearend and made a few loops with a hose.
You can use a vented cap.
I'd like to get a proper canister to keep the gas smell out out of the garage.
I'm curious what others have done as well

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Vented caps that are sold now are only one way, they allow air in but not out. Had a tank split a seam one summer. Venting above the differential can cause a fire due to fumes collecting under the car. My wagon is vented up high under the rear and then run down and attached under rear bumper to allow fumes to dissipate away from the car. Venting through a charcaol cannister is the best way. It traps the fumes and then draws them into the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts