Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was seeing if I could get ideas from you all about what could be wrong with my Nova. Its a 73 SS 350 automatic. A couple of weeks ago I replaced all the upper and lower control arms with brand new tubular ones. Bushing and all were included. I also replaced the springs and shocks. After driving it a few times I have noticed a slight clunk when I press the brakes after putting the car into gear. It only does it when i change from forward to reverse. No other noises otherwise. I was thinking maybe the sway bar link could be causing it, but the bushings looks ok. Could they be loose or something? Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh yeah, i forgot to add. The new ball joints were included with the control arms, and pre-mounted. The only thing i didnt replace were the drum brakes and spindles, but the clunking didnt start until a few days after the install. I may go try and retorque everything since it didnt start making this noise until a couple days ago. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
My guess is the front A-arm bushings are shot and the cross shaft is moving back and forth inside the sleeves of the bushings as you apply the brakes.

Big Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured it out...must not have stuffed enough grease in the A-arm fittings. All the mounting bolts were tight. They seem to be good now that i added some more grease. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts