Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know of a front-end alingment tech in my neck of the woods who can REALLY alingn my nova correctly? Like the rolling stones say,,,, I cant get no satisfaction!!!!! I have relpaced all components,locked the lower controls in place.installed larger bolts on uppers for shimming,the idler arm is new,but is the original style. the car bumps steers all the time and the tires screech when you come to a stop. TIRED of taking it back to the shop!!! ball joints,bushings,idler,tie ends,strut arm bushings,springs,spindles,disc brakes,bearings,shocks ,all new. I have a 350-with a350 tranny in it. The car , when it had a 6cyl.auto in it steered great with the original parts. When I put the wrench to the front end seems like it was all down hill.I have 15in cragers on the front and had to extend the strut rods all the way back to clear the front tires from rubbing. the tires are 195. The car is a 2-door hardtop 400 series 90k, it was my wifes high school car, one of the family. Thanks for listening to my whinning John

·
Registered
58 Posts
John,
You aren't the only whiner. It seems that aligning the first gens is a common problem. Fortunately I was very lucky with mine, as a local place has been around forever and has aligned quite a few.

Although I cannot recommend a shop in your neck of the woods I can give you a little help in reducing tire scrub on the front end. I'm assuming that when you turn corners you sometimes get a bit of tire scrubbing? I know I did and still do on occassion. I have a 63 that I converted to discs and have 205-60-15's all the way around.

Anyway, all I did was put some spacers on the rods on the bottom of the front fenders, which pushes it out further. I forget exactly how thick of a spacer I used, but 1/2" to 5/8 seems about right.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts