·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Re: Finally, pics of "Mr. Toads Wild Ride"

I'd wrap your proportioning valve or the headers or both with asbestos wrap before you boil the brake fluid on a hot run. Headers are close to the master cylinder but way to close to the valve for safety.

Cool ride. I've got a '77 that I'm contemplating a BBC transplant.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I've only had it on a few short runs, so the brake line thing wasn't an issue. Believe me, it has been noticed and will be addressed. The car is still in it's rough form, we're still debugging it, but at least I can drive it now!

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts

Why the fender well headers? There should be enough room to run them under the car. In doing the mock up on my 75 I discovered the engine and transmission were offset to the passenger side like the 68 -74 models.This would mean the BB should fit with plenty of clearence for the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Two reasons, this car was raced in the late 70's and early 80's when it was new. When the car is done, it'll be a "replica" of what it could've been in the 70's. Fenderwell headers and all. Reason two: it's a four speed car and the Z-bar gets in the way. It is SOOOOOO much fun to drive!:D

PS. Did ya' notice the 3 1/2" SS Cragers in the front and the 9" stock Corvette rallies? That's right, 9" rallies. They were widened to accomadate bigger tires. Nice job, too.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Well, the trip home from Florida was a bit more interesting then I really wanted it to be. It turned out ok, but check out these.....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/earthquake68/100_1199.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/earthquake68/100_1200.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/earthquake68/100_1201.jpg

The right rear bearing got washed out because the dust cap was missing and I got caught in a terrential downpour. (I figure) I looked back in the mirror to see the hub smoking and when I pulled over to check on it, the wheel fell off. (Yeah) So I rigged this lash up, I took the ratchet strap off the front tie down and used a regular nylon strap to tie the front of the car down, then used the ratchet to tie up the axle. Then I drove the last 140 miles on three wheels! (Slowly, and on back roads) What the heck, it worked!

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts

Just living up to the name "Mr Toads Wild Ride" :D
Did the 3 wheel thing to when I had a flat 20 miles from home and the spare was in the garage. It was the front axle so I still had brakes. 140 miles would be a real pucker job :)
With my old trailer I had lots of tire problems, no fun having one come apart at 75 mph. It was less fun for the folks behind me.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts

I have AAA Plus 100 mile "RV" coverage. It costs you two emergency calls when I call (you get three call's a year with coverage, but can bank three from a previous year if not used). That way if I break down they send a flat bed semi truck to haul me and my cargo home (up to one hundred miles) if I should break down while towing an RV camper or any other trailer. This service is much less than the cost of a single tow and beats leaving valuable stuff on the side of the road. I recommend it.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Pride is powerful master. I'm the guy everyone calls around here for help. It's hard admitting defeat. I didn't mention before my trailer is rediculously overbuilt. It has two 5,000 lb mobile home axles under it. Both of which, have electric brakes. Even with one axle suspended like that it was only 150 lbs over it's weight limit. It actually towed quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

They were on the trailer when I got it, but like you said, they sure do come in handy!

I took one of my friends for a ride today. He started his critique with " that's sick" and finished with, "That's not a car, it's a big engine with Nova sheet metal around it" I guess that's good!:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts