Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $2000 tied up into this stupid work bench and still don't have the room or features I need. It's really annoying at this point. Who else has an expensive tool bench?

G

·
maybe i can help ya with your "Tool Bench"

first, i don't see your vise... i think if it was bolted to the left side slightly inward you'd have enough room to swing it or rotate it depending on what you have clamped in it...

second, where's the bench grinder ??? i think that could go directly across from the vise on the other side.

now being that bench is a multi-level type bench, hmmm... i'm thinking ya almost need a center platform to have the upper level at a proper work distance... but i dig the inner compartment. Man, lots of storage area, you have a couple fine spots to sit down while working... or let me ask, is that where you would do your parts cleaning ??? i guess it'd make a great blast cabinet or part washer but i don't see the attachments... maybe they're out of view on the other side ???

i have to admit it's a pretty strange looking work bench... i mean the configuration seems kinda kooky. i like it and see great possibilities, but as is ??? i think you need to invest more in tools and organizing etc. ;)

Oh and why the big wheels, wouldn't smaller casters be easier ???

yuk yuk yuk ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being that it is "just a 4 door" I guess I could bolt me a vise on there. The grinder is on a free standing stand so no need to clutter up the bench. I like the caster idea and the trunk could be the blast cabinet. Now we're talking:D

G

·
well i DO agree it'd make a better car than work bench but IF it's to be a work bench, c'mon... make it at least fuctional ;)

maybe make it Multi-function... seal off the doors but leave the windows in/down... you could bust yer bottom in the heat of the shop then take a short break in your "Indoor" swimming pool :D

WOW, now THAT'S an idea !!! lemme go look at my car... that sounds like a plan !!! :thumbsup: ;)

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Personally I didn't see a bench in the photo. Has a lot of shelving and a '66 Nova in the way.

I think a bench should be massive (heavy) and durable. Reasoning being you have to work with automotive parts that are often massive and you do not want the bench caving under load or walking about the room as you "Work." I recomend a half inch to three eights thick steel flat sheet work top prperly supported by steel legs and braces. When grounded you can weld on top of it as well.

Provide a slope so all fluids drain to the rear and into a single hole helps with keeping the place clean.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
17,539 Posts
Nice box but as you have noted an expensive option. I think Johnny's desktop vise wold be a little hard to mount, and would probably tear off when you started to get into trying to torque some thing. It would look right at home on the corner of my steel topped work bench though and a lot harder to rip off. Just a matter of finding the room to put it in (probably have to move the cars out side :D)

Big Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.