Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in Hot Rod magazine. It is supposed to be a coating for bare metal that protects against rust and other stuff. I think Eastwood carries it.

One the surface ( no pun intended) it seems like a good way to keep suspension and other engine compartment pieces from rusting but I've never tried it. Any here use it?

I'm super happy that I found it because for some reason anything that I touch rusts overnight. I gave up trying to keep parts from rusting but I may try again if this stuff works.

Please let me know if you have used it and if it works. Thanks!

Greg

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Metals like Copper or Aluminum and even a well known alloy of iron, stainless steel protect the base metal by rusting (oxidizing) and that coating prevents oxygen from getting any closer to the base metal. GM took the concept of Sublimation (a layer of corrosion protecting the metal) by artificially corroding the metal as soon as it left the forming die. All of the black coating you see on sheet metal panels is rust, just a special kind. This black coating is called Black Oxide (actual name magnitite) and is a result of a chemical process of boiling the metal part in an alkaline salt bath. It leaves the part rust free until the coating is buffed off to paint. Once scratched or scuffed the part will continue to rust as normal however if you were to receive a part damaged in shipping it will not only be damaged but rusting.

You can do this process for small parts at home in your wife's kitchen oven but the size of the oven limits the size (an weight) of the parts. I don't know if this is was Eastwood is doing, but just like ceramic coating your headers this is just simple chemistry you can do not only your self, but probably doing a better job.

Before I had to change my major to engineering (after discovering that I was highly allergic to many organic solvents), I was a chemistry major; and my claim to popularity in high school was based upon my making high explosives in the chemistry lab (nitrous-iodide, or the more common but not as versatile nitroglycerin) to share with my friends. Who knew nerds could be popular and feared at the same time.

Big Dave

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The Navy has banned the use of black oxide coated brass fasteners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts