Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed carbs to a new edelbrock 650 so i know im getting fuel. i have been driving the car for over a month, i started the car the other day it seemed fine then it died before i could leave. It will turn over all day but will not start. i have replaced the distributor with what came out of it an msd hei distributor. when i tried repeated starting i fouled the plugs so those are replaced now. i get a spark from a wire to the block, im getting 12 volts to the coil.i also replaced the ignition switch , the neutral safety switch and the battery within the last 6 months. the only thing i havent replaced is the spark plug wires. im getting a spark so i figured that wouldnt stop it from cranking. im totally lost here , help me out.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Have someone crack engine and CAREFULLY look down carb to see if carb has stuck float and is dumping fuel. might try little starter fluid if carb is ok to see if you get any response. you checked spark at plug end of wires, you gotta have fire, compression, and fuel. make sure you didn't jump time on timing chain...crank engine to TDC on balancer, pull cap and make sure rotor is pointing TDC or 180 degrees out. info on engine might help...age, size, and approx miliage Jay

ps: put old carb back if all other area's are ok! hope this helps Jay

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine is a 350. No idea on the milage , the odometer says 70k but your guess is as good as mine . We aligned the rotor to the # 1 plug , and made sure the #1 piston was topped out . Rotor cap was pointing at #1 plug when the distributor was put in . I have been told that there was too much fuel in the cylinder and that's what fouled my plugs out , and that I needed to get the fuel out of the cylinder . I have no idea how to do that . I can also smell gas on my dipstick .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ive done that. but it still doesnt start. i was told that i should stick a match to the cylinder with the plug out to burn the excess fuel out. i have never heard that and i dont know if i should try it. at this point i would try almost anything. also like i said before the plug wires are the only thing that is not new. they are firing but its not a bright blue spark it is a yellowish spark. would this stop it from cranking.ive always thought if a spark was there it would crank, it might not run to the best of its ability but it would run.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I wouldn't put a match to any gasoline fumes. IMO you are just asking for trouble(possible explosion). Just pull the plugs, turn the engine over and then let the cylinders air out for awhile. If it still doesn't start after that then pull the carb and put the old one back on. If it starts then the problem is your new carb. Then I would disassemble the new carb and look for probs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i was thinking with putting a match to it, just thought i would ask. as far the carb goes, i have been driving the car with the new carb on it for over a month , so how could that be the problem???? the plugs are out now and it is drying out , ill put the plugs in soon and hopefully it will start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys i got it started thanks to your help. now i have anther issue. while i was doing everything the hot wire to the coil somehow got on my exhaust maanifold. the wire completely burned up back to the fuse block. i repaired the wire but im not getting anything to the coil. so my question is can i break the fuse block open and repair whatever is damaged in there or is it shot and i have to buy a new fuse block . the insulation was burned up all the way back to the fuse block. im still getting power in the car( lights, instruments, etc) but im just not getting it on that circuit to the coil.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
ok thanks guys i got it started thanks to your help. now i have anther issue. while i was doing everything the hot wire to the coil somehow got on my exhaust maanifold. the wire completely burned up back to the fuse block. i repaired the wire but im not getting anything to the coil. so my question is can i break the fuse block open and repair whatever is damaged in there or is it shot and i have to buy a new fuse block . the insulation was burned up all the way back to the fuse block. im still getting power in the car( lights, instruments, etc) but im just not getting it on that circuit to the coil.

You can repair just that one wire by pulling the engine side of the fuse block. It is a pain, But I have done it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts