Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the same motor mounts that Phillip wrote the sticky thread on ,the clamshell type. I replaced the mounts with poly ones just like the thread.I just dropped my engine back in today and the am having a problem getting everything to line up .I used the same holes in the frame but it seems that the mounting holes are to close together and need to move up the frame.Any input would be great.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Sometimes if you are using new mounts and new clam shells they are a lil tight. If this is the case you may want to lower the engine down a lil harder. You can also use a pry bar to fanagle it back into postion assuming this is the problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine side brackets are the stock 454 ones I believe.I have tried everything I know in trying to line up the holes. I am thinking about unbolting the mounts from the frame and mounting them on the engine and then putting a level across the valve covers and tack welding the mounts on the frame. Pull the engine out of the way and drill new holes if needed.

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those look like the same ones I have. The mounts were in the car before. I just changed the inner poly inserts.I set the upper engine mounts on to the lower frame mounts before I dropped the engine they fit perfect. Now they seem too narrow like 1". I wished I had the actual specs from centerline to centerline of the bolt holes in the front frame.Is this problem do to the size of the engine in the 76.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Sounds like you may have inserted the poly vibration isolator up side down. There are two tangs that have to fit in the slots the correct way or it interferes with the mount fitting properly. Check the pictures that Philip posted on the making the mount post

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
If the engine fit before and does not now there can only be 2 reasons.
One Dave already posted about the inserts.
The second the engine did not come down square and needs to be lifted and guided on to the mounts to line up one side, insert the bolt and then line up the other side. If the engine and trans are bolted together unbolt the transmission mount from the cross member. This will allow for easier motor mount alignment.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The previous owner must have really forced the rubber mounts to fit .The new poly mounts don't have that much give.Here's what I did. Unbolted the mounts from the frame ,leveled the engine,tack welded the mounts to the frame.Pulled the engine back out .Drilled 8 new holes, bolted the mounts back in with grade 8 bolts.It came out perfect.Headers fit drives shaft fits life is good.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
It should only have needed 6 holes, 3 in each mount. Sounds like the mounts are not installed properly, one hole in the mount should have hung off the cross member.

If the mounts needed to be higher on the frame than these the wrong engine side brackets were used. This can cause a drive line vibration from too much down angle at the transmission ouput shaft.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn'the the 69 Camaro subframe different than the 76 Nova subframe.The transmission cross member bolt is almost all the way to the front of the adjustment slot.I can't go any more forward.There was barely enough room for the fourth bolt.I had to grind one side of the washer.It was a mother.I had to move One mount up and one down because the engine was not level.Previous owner did not take his time putting the engine in.I don't think the mounts are to high. I think it is right on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The 1967-'69 Camaro sub frame is the same a that used under the 1968-'72 Nova. It is basically the same subframe as far as motor goes for the 1973-'4 as well but the addition of big bumpers changed the frame horns on the end of the front of the sub frame.

Now the 1970-81 Camaro used mostly the same sub frame but it doesn't quite fit the 1975-'79 Nova. The cars are both front steer now like the rest of GM's fleet of vehicles but on the Camaro the change in sheet metal to an Italian looking sports car lowered the hood and pushed the radiator core support forward, which means the sub frames no longer interchange. However the suspension parts on the 1975-'79 Nova and Camaro interchange (if you are looking for cool steel 15x7 steel wheels of 11 inch disc brakes they interchange easily). Prior years do not directly interchange due to annual changes to the cross shaft size, bushing diameters and ball joints on the steering knuckles. They played a game of round robin with parts from the parts bin trying to find a collection of parts that everyone (engineers and bean counters ) could agree upon. One year the A-arm bushing was bigger the next smaller, next year they changed the size of another part. But after 1974 all parts are the same size as those used on the Nova.

The biggest difference between 1969 and 1970 was the track increased in 1970 and the car went to a front steer (tie rod and steering gear box sat in front of the front axle, instead of behind it as occurred in the first gen Camaro and the 1968-'74 Nova.

Big Dave

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
In your 76 the big block and small block will use the same mounts. The spacing between the motor mount points on the block are the same as is the distance from the motor mount to the bell housing. Essentially the need for you to do what was done to install the engine means one or more of the parts used was wrong.
The frame mount should be installed as the one in my photo, the engine side brackets are specific to the 75 - 79 X body, 73 - 77 A body and one side of the 76 - 81 F body. Truck brackets are too tall and change the distance between the mount holes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are the exact brackets I have on my engine.I put the the new poly mounts in exactly like the pics. The tangs line up just right.The Nova was originally a 6 cylinder. I believe the previous owner did not put in the mounts correctly.He probably hammered the bolts in as they were quite stripped when I took them out.I have roughly 1" clearance between the oil pan and the cross-member. I don't think it needs to be any lower . It looks like it's at stock height.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phillip your help is always awesome.I just don't have a unlimited supply of money for parts.I have been trying to straighten out this Nova since I bought it .The last guy was one crude dude and I am a perfectionist . I want this thing right on the money.I think I am getting close.Thank You again !

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
My money tree is government subsidized (as in Social Security) it makes it hard to build a decent car. I can not even call it a fixed income, seems to be always broken.
It took me 4 years to build my Nova and that was with a steady decent paying job. Don't give up, it will be just the way you want it in the end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As previously mentioned, truck side brackets are too tall. They measure 2 3/4" and unfortunately I had to learn that the hard way. To expand on finances...Unfortunately far too many artisans won't make the cover of Hot Rod nor will their ideas make it to market due to finances. All you have to do is open a Summit catalog to see that most average working people would be broke by page 5. This love of cars is a money pit and it takes being frugal to walk through a maze of expenses and have enough money left for an electric bill. Of course a lot of people talk broke all while their cable and smart phone bill runs $180.00 per month. My Tracfone runs $115.00 per year for 600 minutes of talk time and I've accumulated over 2000 rollover minutes and it works well all across the country. I have no cable and have free antenna TV with 16 channels. If you can avoid paying your dentist's yacht note and other such expenses you should be able afford a decent muscle car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.