Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a guy could use SBC frame mounts in my third gen with a BBC? I'm thinking if I use one of the smaller brake boosters I'll gain the clearance in that area. The big one that concerns me is clutch linkage alignment issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The breakbooster is not the problem it is the exhaust and steering box interference that usually is the problem.

If you were to use standard stamped valve covers it probably would clear with the SB frame mounts, however, from my experience I cannot see how it would clear the steering box unless you were to convert to a rack system like here: (but for $995 frame mounts cost alot less)

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=43

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the clearance a block clearance or header clearance problem? The buying of BBC frame mounts is not the issue. The issue is I've seen BBC engines in these cars and to me the engine does not seem square in the engine compartment. I'm planning on using side pipes so I've been looking into having custome headers built that would run on the outside of the subframe. I'm hoping this will keep me from having the pipes get to low to the ground when they would normally go over the subframe to connect to the side pipes. Also the straighter I can keep my drive terrain the less power I'll loose in the universals.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are going over the frame rail then, no there wont be a clearance issue. There is plenty of room between the block and the steering box.

The BB mounts are designed to shift the motor to the passenger side, If you use sb mounts it will be centered and a bit lower in the bay.

So you will actually have more valve cover clearance, Below is a shot of the clearance I have between my medimum height covers and the break booster. You should not have any clearance problems with the other mounts. However, I just barely have clearance betweem my frame crossmember and the front crank pully. You might have to look for a smaller diameter crank pully to clear the frame.

header shot:

It is going to still be interesting to squeeze a bend in that tight area even to go above with SB mounts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is why the car is a hobby! I can play with it! I'm thinking of starting with a drag racers straight up style then going to the side and down. Even if they are not the best headers performance wise, it should make a good conversation topic at shows! Now if only I can find a Dual quad intake for a BBC with either cross ram or directly side by side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts