Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One mod I'd like to do is go to an electric rear tailgate window in order to shave the crank off of the tailgate. Not sure where to begin. Any ideas??
P.S. I also have posted in suspensions and performance asking advice on offset shackles with no response. Seems odd. If you'd have any info on those I'd appreciate it as well.

G

·
i've heard that the Suburban track/motor assembly interchanges or will work in a ChevyII tailgate but as far as the year... that i'm not aware of.

a ChevyII power assembly is probably in/around $250.00-$350.00. i'd think you'd be able to remove the manual assembly and take it to the wrecking yard with you to compare with the Suburban unit.

·
Super Moderator
7,519 Posts
i've heard that the Suburban track/motor assembly interchanges or will work in a ChevyII tailgate but as far as the year... that i'm not aware of.

a ChevyII power assembly is probably in/around $250.00-$350.00. i'd think you'd be able to remove the manual assembly and take it to the wrecking yard with you to compare with the Suburban unit.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that!..

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
All wagons; for just about all years that used electric motors instead of vacuum powered ones, use the same electric motor. It is also the same motor as used in the powered windows for the doors. Those motors all interchange from side to side and with each other across years and models.

The regulators out of a Suburban may not fit as the door is a lot taller, but it is worth the try. But I would look for a Chevy Kingswood, or Estate wagon, or even a Olds Vista Cruiser, or Pontiac Safari first to try and get two inches less door.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,519 Posts
I'm thinking of doing it on mine, motor is just a motor I wouldn't think that would be an issue I don't think?, might be a difference in the length of the arms in the regulator though but I don't think it would be too hard to modify the length of them..

·
Registered
6 Posts
here is what I have. I have seen on Larry's site the different between the crank up and power show a "T" were the crank handle goes. and something in the spot were the "T" should be. I am thinking that a gear goes there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm pretty sure an 88 suburban tailgate electric unit is a bolt in. I have one I will be using for my 63 wagon and rear outside latch/key unit, motor, regulator, wiring harness and dash switch will all work I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
73-91 Suburban , regulators are the same a '62 -'67 Chevy II , the motor is the same except for the motor connector due to the change in grounding the motor to the body , the Chevy II had 3 terminals and the 'burbs had 2 terminals , the Chevy II had a wire from the motor to a ground tab on the tailgate jam & tailgate to complete the ground when the tailgate is closed and disconnect the ground when in the lowered position to prevent the tailgate from working in the lowered position , the 'burb motors are grounded to the body and a plunger type disconnect switch is used to perform the same function as the grounding tabs on the Chevy II tailgate jamb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts