Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, wondering if anyone has converted to EFI and what kit you chose? I’m currently running a 396bbc bored 30 over and looking at several EFI kits. I’m liking Fitech and FAST systems, but thought I’d ask. I’ll probably swap out the tank for an Areomotive with baffles and do it right. Anyway, thanks very much 🤘🏻

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
EFI kits are a waste of money. A carburetor will handle a more radical cam than EFI can and provide more peak power than EFI. EFI is used by the factory not because they think it will be more powerful, but because with a full computer controlled car (includes valve timing, and ignition) an EFI car gets better mileage and it will pass emission standards that your car isn't even tested against. That is why all modern cars are computer controlled with EFI instead of carburetors.

Just think of VW's diesels passing the tests with their computer system when in reality it couldn't if it tried. It is CAFE fuel economy numbers and emissions that makes EFI necessary on a current model car.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,518 Posts
I have no personal experience with either one, mainly because I don't want anything to do with them, but I know a few that has the Fitech and none are happy with it and are ready to ditch them, all I know about the FAST is what I read and so far it's a split and not worth the money IMWO. Same ole thing you get what you pay for, bite the bullet and get a "good" one and use a laptop to tune it, well worth it in the long run if you really want to go EFI, IMO..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Holley has a good handle on EFI, and there is a lot of resources available for tuning. I have a "street" setup for my 572 Chevelle project. HP/Dominator style ECU, 800+ lift 271/284 duration. The single throttle body did well, the tunnel ram just made better power with more air available.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
The NHRA was forced to go to EFI in Pro Stock by the factories that wanted the cars to reflect current technology (You know a small V6 sitting side saddle with front wheel drive).
They also forced the cars to leave the motors exposed when they worked on them.

Luckily for the fans the air scoop that covers the throttle bodies also covers the Wilson intake manifold so that no one knows what it looks like; and the "carbs" are tuned from inside the trailer by computer, so no one can now see either the motor or the crew working on the car thanks to EFI.

Took the Pro crews two and half years to get EFI performance back up to where it was before with two 4500 Holley carbs, but at least the major manufacturers are happy now.

Big Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
EFI kits are a waste of money. A carburetor will handle a more radical cam than EFI can and provide more peak power than EFI. EFI is used by the factory not because they think it will be more powerful, but because with a full computer controlled car (includes valve timing, and ignition) an EFI car gets better mileage and it will pass emission standards that your car isn't even tested against. That is why all modern cars are computer controlled with EFI instead of carburetors.

Just think of VW's diesels passing the tests with their computer system when in reality it couldn't if it tried. It is CAFE fuel economy numbers and emissions that makes EFI necessary on a current model car.

Big Dave
The aftermarket EFIs I'm familiar with do a lot more than what you suggest. For one thing carbs can be a bugger to start at times and my 350 SB carbureted cranks for some time before finally lighting up. With the EFI you can view such things as air to fuel mixtures and adjust them as needed. I've got friends who use the Holley Sniper kits and they are very happy with the performance. I've gone through enough jets and other parts replacement using the old guessing game only to find it doesn't improve a thing. If the factory used EFI only for what you say, why do they allow modifications with tuners like HP? I have a Holley Sniper kit waiting for a new fuel tank for installation in my 55 210 Del Ray and I can't wait to get it installed. Old school had it's time, but clearly even NASCAR understands the advantages of fuel injection

1 - 12 of 12 Posts