Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new nova owner and it has fulfilled a lifelong dream... Now to start working.

First I want to go with disc brakes.

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of drop spindles? (never used them before)

2. Should I be concerned about power brakes and power steering as far as motor clutter?

3. Is there any problem with doing front discs only first, then doing rear at a later date?

·
Super Moderator
17,540 Posts
Welcome to the Team Doug!

I am a new nova owner and it has fulfilled a lifelong dream... Now to start working.

First I want to go with disc brakes.

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of drop spindles? (never used them before)

2. Should I be concerned about power brakes and power steering as far as motor clutter?

3. Is there any problem with doing front discs only first, then doing rear at a later date?
First Question: What are the advantages/disadvantages of drop spindles? (never used them before)
The advatages of a dropped spindle over actually lowering the car by cutting the legs out from under it is you do not change any of the steering geometry or suspension travel that was engineered into the car originally. When you cut the coil springs to lower the car the suspension travel is shortened so the shocks no longer are as effective and you will be hitting the bump stops (a variable stiffness spring installed by the engineers to soften the impact on parts should the car bottom out while jumping over Sheriff Roscoe P. Coletrain's squad car some summers afternoon while driving through Georgia). However; in your particular car you actually want to change the steering geometry, as it was broken from the factory. To do this people install the disc brake spindles off of a Chevelle along with tubular upper and lower control arms.

Should I be concerned about power brakes and power steering as far as motor clutter?
If you are concerned about clutter under the hood then yes this is a problem. NASCAR got around this problem by attaching the power steering pump to the drive shaft at the back of the car and running long hydraulic hoses to the front of the car unseen. They where not doing it for looks but for safety as the front of their bumper car/race cars often hit things like other cars or walls which would spill oil on the track. You can buy all of the brackets and hoses used from one of many NASCAR warehouse (for some reason racing isn't expensive enough already, so NASCAR rules require the owners of race cars to part them out after a few races and sell all of the parts to slower class racers or to fans wanting a piece of their hero's car).

Is there any problem with doing front discs only first, then doing rear at a later date?
No this is how the factory did it. use all GM factory parts and you will have no issues. You then again use all factory parts again later to complete the conversion.

Big Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts