Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a way to get a stock dipstick tube for a 350 turbo, my chrome one that came with the tranny wants to leak even with a new o-ring, i want a used or new dipstick tube.... I need it bad!!! Where can i find one?

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Sometime in the late 70's to early 80's GM changed the dip stick tube. Instead of an O ring seal it used a rubber sleeve. The case hole is the same so the later tube will fit any case. You can order all 3 pieces new from a GM dealer or hit a wrecking yard to find a set. Be sure to get the stick with the tube so your readings are correct. To install slide the sleeve into the case then put some oil on the tube and slide it into the sleeve and attach the bolt to hold it in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wonder how much gm would charge for that tube and stick, i can get the sleeve from autozone where i work

·
Registered
145 Posts
Phillip my th350 tube and dipstick has the rubber sleeve seal but the tube is too long and indicator has a locking feature and it hits the hood insulation. The aftermarket chrome don't fit on firewall clearance and have the o-ring. Would you happen to know the part numbers from GM that properly fits the 69 Nova?
The salvage yards just have bent up junk so far?? Thanks,
Chuck

Sometime in the late 70's to early 80's GM changed the dip stick tube. Instead of an O ring seal it used a rubber sleeve. The case hole is the same so the later tube will fit any case. You can order all 3 pieces new from a GM dealer or hit a wrecking yard to find a set. Be sure to get the stick with the tube so your readings are correct. To install slide the sleeve into the case then put some oil on the tube and slide it into the sleeve and attach the bolt to hold it in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't have a leak just a clearance issue and I wanted to restore to original if I can. Thanks,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Ok that is cool. I have heard of people blowing out the dipstick tube and spraying oil on their headers, and oiling down their slicks. Neither are a good thing, but It looks like you have no issues like that. So what dose the chrome one look like, a sword handle stuck in the tube? (saw that one at auto show once) :D

Big Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's just an aftermarket chrome with a pull indicator but doesn't have the rubber sleeve as the too long GM from some model that was in the car when I bought it. I want to go back to the oem look but cannot find any part numbers. Would you happen to have the info? Thanks Dave,
Chuck

·
Administrator
9,468 Posts
Phillip my th350 tube and dipstick has the rubber sleeve seal but the tube is too long and indicator has a locking feature and it hits the hood insulation. The aftermarket chrome don't fit on firewall clearance and have the o-ring. Would you happen to know the part numbers from GM that properly fits the 69 Nova?
The salvage yards just have bent up junk so far?? Thanks,
Chuck
Sounds like a truck dip stick and tube. The locking cap was brought about in the80's to prevent fires if the tranny vent became plugged. So instead of blowing out the dipstick tube onto hot exhaust it blew out seals.

I think I have the stock one from my Nova. I'll go look for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank Phillip, what is your address and how much for ship and I'll send you a check if thats ok tomorrow. Does it have the dipstick or just the tube? Thanks again,
Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts