Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 71 Nova was starting within the first few seconds of the turn of the key. It was very easy to start. Lately it has gotten a little more difficult...longer cranking, almost starting but not, and sometimes requiring me to turn the key more then once. When it turns over, the car runs great. The only thing I could think of......would be my fuel filter. Could this be caused by a bad fuel filter? Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It could be several things. It might be the fuel filter, the fuel pump, timing may have changed, spark(ign or weak battery). If it is a points type distributor, check point gap. Loose wires in cap, corroded cap/rotor. Carb may have dirt in it, floats off etc. Another long shot could be a bad starter. It might have a bad spot in the armature which would cause it to not turn over or have to hit the key more than one time. Check your electrical connections at the starter and battery, they maybe corroded or loose. Just a few ideas.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I was told that my starter was getting too hot near the headers, and that I should use a remote starter solenoid. Is this true??...if so, is this something I can do in my driveway?

Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What you are referring to is heat soak on the starter. This normally only occurs after you have been running or driving the car for awhile. The car will not start or turn over slower than usual due to the heat that has been absorbed in the starter. After the engine cools down, usually they will start. As for putting on a remote (F-rd) starter relay, yes this is something you should be able to do yourself at home. You can also buy heat shields that attach to the starter and deflect some of the heat. I have used these in the past with no problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know the Autozone I work at actually has that heat sheild in stock, its in the help section, may be in the back and not out front, its not too expensive, dont remember how much but ive looked at it for my car a couple times, just havent done it yet.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Summit has several different companies heat shields on ther website. The most expensive one is $26. I even have one laying on my shelf that i'm not using.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts