Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on fabricating a custom functional (w/the flapper door like the ones on the SS chevelles.) 2in cowl hood for my nova. has anyone done this?? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?? Is it possible?? Will it look good??

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well it should be a fun project. I'm looking at the ram air system that was used on GTO's for my car. Fabrication of these systems can be a pain, but the reward can make it all worth while. I think the Chevelles used a Vaccum system on their cowl hoods, but am not sure. I would start by finding a car that had a functional one and research how it worked and see if you can find someone with one and get lots of pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the chevelle restoration manual and it has a detailed illustration of the hood and components. Im more concerned about the bodyline that runs down the center of the nova hood. the chevelle doesent have it and im afraid that the line will interfere wiht the door opening properly. Im also afrade of ruineing a new steel cowl hood.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats cool but I Like the way the chevelle hoods look with the functional door i dont even care if the one that I make works as a true cowl induction hood as long as the flapper door opens and closes as it should.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Another possibility is to start with a fiberglass hood with a cowl already formed into it for the Nova (there are at least three different companies that have a 2-1/2 inch ZL-1 cowl hood). Then you would just add the Chevelle parts which Year one sells as a kit, and the cold air Camaro induction air cleaner to seal the hood so that it is fully functional.

Big Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
The 69 Camaro also used a flapper door, but in the back driver-facing side of the cowl hood as opposed to the top rear like the Chevelle hood used in 70-72.

Derek

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im planning on fabricating a custom functional (w/the flapper door like the ones on the SS chevelles.) 2in cowl hood for my nova. has anyone done this?? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?? Is it possible?? Will it look good??
There is a body shop near Allentown, PA that will do the '70-'72 Chevelle Cowl Induction hood for other GM cars. They also did the '69 Camaro cowl hood transplant long before Goodmark reproduced them for most vehicles.

I know they remove the outer shell of a Cowl hood and transplant it to the donor car inner hood skin. You'll swear your Nova came from the factory with a Cowl Induction hood if they do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts